Eric Gerlach on 13 Feb 2002 00:08:42 -0000

Re: spoon-discuss: Proosals.

At 06:59 PM 2002-02-12 -0500, you wrote:
An analogy would be when, while doing algebra, you
state that x is equivalent to 3. If x was already defined to be 5, then you
haven't just defined 3 to be equivalent to 5. You've redefined the value of
x.

<nitpick source="Math Undergrad" reason="I've got the title and I'm gonna use it"> One can't _redefine_ things in algebra. Once you say something is equal to something, it is. There's no changing it, because then one of your statements is no longer true. The analogy you're looking for is something closer to computer science.</nitpick> However, the rhetorical analysis (minus the nitpick) holds methinks.

Bean