David E. Smith on 1 Feb 2002 18:27:20 -0000

Re: spoon-discuss: Distance

On Fri, 1 Feb 2002, Daniel Lepage wrote:

> I don't think whatever's calculating our distances is
> working right. Some players have distances which are
> actually less than eir scores, which should be
> impossible, assuming distances is the square root of
> the sum of the squares of all dimensions. So unless
> I'm reading the rule wrong, something is amiss.

Distance is only calculated once per nweek, per rule 153. There are a few
things that can cause the relevant dimensions to change in the middle of
an nweek, but I only recalculate distance at the start of each week, after
voting (since that's when the biggest changes occur).

...dave