Rob Speer on 28 Jan 2002 05:31:09 -0000

Re: spoon-discuss: Re: spoon-business: CFJ -- Okay, but...

On Mon, Jan 28, 2002 at 12:15:18AM -0500, Donald Whytock wrote:
> So it is your opinion that the underlying logic of the nomiverse that allows two otherwise contradictory rulings to exist is that nowhere does it say that judgments have to agree, or have anything to do with one another?  Even though they both carry the Force of Law?
>
> 						Glotmorf

I think it's more that the Nomic is too fuzzy for you to say with
absolute authority that two rulings are contradictory. Just like you can
paraphrase to make them appear contradictory, I can interpret them in a
way that they are not contradictory.

This happens because we are humans speaking an ambiguous language[1],
and because we don't want to define every word or concept we use, among
other things.

If you want the Nomic state to be consistent all the time with no
allowance for common sense, proposals would probably have to be
submitted as C code or something.

[1] If Robin's still around in the game, I'll mention that I don't think
holding a Nomic in the Lojban language would solve this. Though it would
be neat.
--
Rob Speer