Donald Whytock on 28 Jan 2002 05:11:07 -0000

Re: spoon-discuss: Gridwork 1 is Unnecessary

On 1/27/02 at 4:45 PM Greg Ritter wrote:

>I considered the ricochet effect when proposing this, but realized the
>odds
>of a ricochet are extremely slim.
>
>The Grid is 20 x 20 -- there are FOUR HUNDRED units on the Grid. Given our
>current roster of 13 players (+1 on Forced Leave), the odds of a Shiny or
>Scary Dark Thing teleporting to a second location occupied by a player is
>only 13 in 400 or 3.25% !!!
>
>I believe the odds of that ricochet continuing on to a third location and
>hitting a player is a little over 0.10 percent or about 1 in 1000.
>
>I hardly think that warrants giving you 3 to 18 points for setting up a
>Relocation Queue for Things Both Shiny and Scary Dark.
>

>--gritter

Ah, but you forget about Gridwork 2.  Drop enough Big Rocks on the grid, and there aren't four hundred empty locations any more.  And how long before someone invents the Avalanche Gremlin?

Besides, Gridwork 1 does add something material: what happens when two Things wind up in the same location.  Yes, we could have some poor unfortunate player first gain 25 points then lose them again, or gain 50, or lose 50, but I think this makes things a little more dynamic.

						Glotmorf