Donald Whytock on 22 Jan 2002 18:49:01 -0000

spoon-discuss: Re: spoon-business: Votes, nweek 5

On 1/22/02 at 6:38 AM Greg Ritter wrote:

> > Proposal 271/1:N Heads are Better Than 1 (Glotmorf)
>NO
>[[Still not comfortable with this. I'd prefer to see players be required
>actually form teams that have some meaning and persistence instead of just
>getting together for one nweek to generate some extra proposals.]]

Do you really want that?  Do you really, really want players forming coalitions, exchanging proxies, and voting as a block?  Especially when those coalitions can include more than half the players?

I myself shy away from the idea of coalitions/parties/leagues/any group of people who agree to think as a unit.  Any time someone signs up with something like that, he is agreeing to not think for himself.  Better to have coalitions form for the sole purpose of presenting a single idea at a time.

Consider if Players A and B support Proposal 1, B and C support Proposal 2, and A and C support Proposal 3.  In order for these combinations to submit proposals as groups, they'd have to belong to multiple, overlapping teams, which would be exactly the same as (in the case of my proposal) belonging to proposal-dependent teams, except more complicated.  If teams can't overlap, then you've lost the potential bennie of members of different teams jointly presenting a very good idea.

Hmm...What if a Player who is involved in the creation of a given Proposal is then required to vote in favor of it?

						GLotmorf