Eric Gerlach on 15 Jan 2002 02:18:23 -0000

Re: spoon-discuss: RE: spoon-business: Proposal: No Kickbacks (Justice, Administered Piecemeal)

At 05:53 PM 2002-01-14 +0000, you wrote:
If the CFJ system allows us to call for effects of any kind, then this won't work. It's therefore probably a bad idea to put this in, as it might give us an illusion of security, and encourage us to allow CFJs to change things. Which is a Bad Thing.

Is it??? What happens if someone takes an action which is illegal? Even if someone makes a CFJ, if the CFJ cannot change anything, and the person has gotten away scot-free with their illegality! That's not the kind of justice system _I_ want to see operating. The Judge or the ruling has to have some ability to edit things which have passed. I proposed the modification to Rule 204 anticipating this. Well, the other option is that we make a penalty for players who disobey the law.

I think that a better outlining of a judge's obligations and powers is important (and they have to have some of both at least). So therefore I humbly submit that the ability to have CFJs that change things (within strict limitations) is a Good Thing (tm).

Bean