David E. Smith on 13 Jan 2002 03:10:39 -0000

Re: spoon-discuss: Re: spoon-business: ... and a proposal for nweek 5

On Sat, 12 Jan 2002, Rob Speer wrote:

> Why? I think that voting on days 7 through 9 makes more sense than days
> 8 through 10. This way the Clock keeps track of how many ndays have
> actually elapsed since the beginning of the nweek.

Matter of perspective, I suppose. (Another regional idiom?)

Most of us are used to conventional clocks (which don't have a zero hour,
'cept for military timekeeping) and calendars (which don't have a zero
day). Were it up to me, I'd make them both one-based.

I can deal with zero-based things when I'm expecting them easily enough --
it's hard to write anything meaningful in C without dealing with its
arrays, which are zero-based -- but in places where I don't expect the
zero, it just messes with my head.

...dave