Doig, Gavin on 11 Jan 2002 13:28:07 -0000

RE: spoon-discuss: Re: Revision of 236

Title: RE: spoon-discuss: Re: Revision of 236

> >But that doesn't make sense. If I submit a CFJ saying (in effect) "the
> >status quo persists" (and most CFJs say either that, or its opposite), and
> >it is judged Undecided, that shouldn't mean that the status quo persists -
> >it should mean that we are unable to determine whether the status quo
> >persists or not.
>
> There's no "we" there!! Where are you getting "we" from?!?

That's the point of CFJs. That's what they do. They tell us how *we* should interpret the rules.

> It means *that individual Judge* was unable to determine whether the status
> quo persists. It doesn't say anything about 'reality' outside of that's
> Judge's perception. In the absence of a Judge's ability to make a
> determination, nothing has changed.

In exactly the same way, a verdict of True means that that individual judge determined that the statement was true.

> >It would be useful to have game custom say that the circumstances we're in
> >lead to undecidability.
>
> Which is nonsense because an individual judge's inability to decide doesn't
> indicate anything about anybody else's ability to decide. Another Judge
> might be quite capable of deciding on the validity of the statement.

And another Judge might be capable of proving that a CFJ judged True should have been judged False.

> The only reason a "True" or "False" ruling -- which is also just the
> perception or interpretation of an individual judge -- changes anything is
> because the rules say it does.

I don't understand how you can accept this, yet have problems with undecided also changing game custom. It's the *same* *thing*! We select a judge to tell us whether the statement is true, false, undecidable, or irrelevant to the game. Yes, the judge may not be correct, and there may be a better answer - that's what the appeals process is for. But limitations in the judges ability apply no matter what verdict he reaches; if true and false establish game custom, then so should the other verdicts.

uin.

[Snip of argument that the rules are powerless over game custom anyway.]

DISCLAIMER:
This message is intended only for the use of the person(s) ("the intended recipients(s)") to whom it is addressed. It may contain information which is  privileged, proprietary and/or confidential within the meaning of applicable  law. If you are not the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this email in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing or copying of this message (including any attachments) is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this message in error, please contact the sender of this message as soon as possible.

The views or opinions expressed in this message are those of the author and may not necessarily be the views held by Azurgroup Limited