Greg Ritter on 11 Jan 2002 12:49:05 -0000

RE: spoon-discuss: Re: spoon-business: Proposal: Titles, and a be tter bandwidth limit

At 11:15 AM 1/11/2002 +0000, you wrote:

> We change that to singular -- (e.g. A proposal is a formal request for a
> Rule Change or other change) and we have no problem with lengthy legislation.

That just doesn't work at all. All you see is people creating a rule which performs all the separate rule changes and then repeals itself, so you end up with proosals which are actually slightly longer (and much uglier).

Which can be easily solved by making a Proposal the only vehicle for a Rule Change. Hence you couldn't implement a Rule full of Rule Changes.

I would argue that Rule 19/4 does that already, and it's probably the intent of 19/4, but not explicit enough. It would be an easy enough to fix with the addition of an additional sentence:

"A proposal is a formal request for a Rule Change or other change. Rule Changes may only be implemented via a Proposal."

In any event, I'm sure that you can come up with a way to attempt to circumvent that as well. Doesn't matter. My point is I'd rather deal with the odd player trying to circumvent what's regulated, than to attempt to manage proposal spam via deterrence.