Rob Speer on 23 Mar 2001 23:04:54 -0000

Re: spoon-discuss: RE: spoon-business: All right! We've got Cards!

On Fri, Mar 23, 2001 at 09:06:09AM -0000, Harrison, Andrew wrote:
> Suggestion for a slight change - The way this stands means that players can
> only play poker. If another card game gets added later then can you play two
> games at once with the same cards?

Hmm.

The definitions I made in the original "cards" rule only allowed for one card
game at once, really. Perhaps the cards could be distributed between two games
based on which back they have...

> Here's my suggestion: When a showdown occurs each player must nominate (tell
> the dealer) which 5 of their cards they wish to play in their poker hand. If
> a player has less than 5 cards then they cannot play in this round and they
> keep their cards. If a player has more than five cards then the cards they
> do not play are kept in their hand for the next round. If a player has 10
> cards they may nominate all ten in two hands, or just play 5 and keep 5. If
> a player does not nominate their 5 cards then the dealer will pick the 5
> cards that would give them the best result. (Note we have to give the player
> the option of picking their own cards cos they might want to just throw away
> some bad cards if they don't think they'd win anyway.)

Sounds like a good idea.

> Should a player be forced to play if they can?

I think so. Otherwise people with lots of cards might want to ignore the
showdown and just hoard cards until they have 10 of them and the possibility of
winning 2 things at once.

> Also, I don't think the dealer should be paid for the transfer. As an
> elected official he will get a salary each nweek anyway.

I thought the salary was something like 2 points a week. I foresee that within
5 weeks someone could get 40 or so points from this game, which wouldn't be me,
since the Dealer cannot play. However, if many people are opposed to paying the
dealer for the transfer, I'll take that part out for the sake of the game.

> And what happens
> when the dealer changes? The dealer knows the contents of everybodys hand,
> so the new dealer would then need to be notified. Can the dealer play in the
> card games?

Hmm. A change of dealers would involve a transfer of ownership of all the cards
in the Deck. I should make a rule for this. At that point the former dealer would
have no cards, and the new Dealer's Hand would by definition cease to exist.

As defined in the original Cards proposal, the Dealer has no Hand.

> And where's my card for this nweek anyway? The card is dealt at the
> beginning of the nweek, and the rule was active at that time.

I'll deal the cards as soon as I know who voted. The page on voting hasn't
been updated since the 18th.

--
Rob Speer