Joel Uckelman on 10 Mar 2001 19:17:24 -0000

spoon-discuss: Re: spoon-business: Proposal: Go Stones

Quoth Dan:

> [[This is a neat idea I've been working out in my head all day.  If we're
> lucky it should work well with the in-progress political go.]]
>
> The following is a new proposal entitled "Go Stones":
>
> 1. Enact a new rule entitled "Stones" with text as follows:
>
> Stones are objects.  They can be created, destroyed, transferred, and
> otherwise manipulated only as allowed by the rules.
>
> Stones have three states:  "Reserve", "In Play", and "Captured".  Newly
> created Stones are always Reserve Stones.
>
> 2. Enact a new rule entitled "Stone Purchase"
>
> If a game of Political Go is in progress a player may, at any time,
> purchase a Stone from the bank.  This purchase transfers the purchase cost
> of that stone in points to the bank, and creates a new Stone [[Reserve]]
> owned by that player.
>
> The purchase price is equal to 5 raise to the power of the number of
> stones already purchased by that player in that nweek.
>
> 3. Enact a new rule entitled "Reserve Stones"
>
> Ownership of Reserve Stones is transferable at will by the owner of the
> stone.
>
> 4. Enact a new rule entitled "Stones In Play"
>
> Stones In Play acquire the property "location".  The location of an In
> Play stone is specified when it becomes In Play and may not change.
>
> 5. Enact a new rule entitled "Captured Stones"
>
> Captured Stones may be sold to the Bank for 1 point each.  This sale
> destroys the stone and transfers 1 point from the Bank to the stone's
> owner.
>
> -------

A comment: If captured stones can be sold to the Bank at any time, that
messes up Go scoring, since one's Go score would be captures plus
territories. I suppose if you mean this to be a way to capitalize on
captures at the expense of one's Go score, that's ok.

--
J.