Dan on 10 Mar 2001 05:35:39 -0000

Re: spoon-discuss: Re: Create new points

I can think of a couple solutions to the points problem that do not
require perpetually creating points once we reach a certain stable level.

1.  Impose a property tax on players.  Perhaps, for the privilige of
playing, players with more than 100 points could be taxed at 3% per nweek,
or something like that.  This will make it harder for wealthier players to
increase their scores further, and make it easier for new players to catch
up.

2.  Give players something to do with their points.  If we have something
which players can purchase with points which gives a game advantage (like
extra votes or really well-integrated go stones or rubber stams which
wreak havok with the game) the wealthier players will spend some of their
points on these.

The points-created-when-a-new-player-joins idea is a good one too.

If these things work we might be able to reach a non-inflationary economy.
We might even be able to do away with the FPF, or perhaps counterbalance
it with an award for voting positively.

Poulenc