Joel Uckelman on 1 Mar 2001 21:36:43 -0000

Re: spoon-discuss: Re: spoon-business: Joint proposals proposal

Quoth =?iso-8859-1?Q?J=F6rg_Rathlev?=:
> > >=20
> > > I make the following proposal, entitled "Joint Proposals"
> > >=20
> > <snip>
> >=20
> > a good idea, but you should make it more formal so that we can =
> distinguish
> > between ideas which are contributed with intent to become Joint =
> Proposals,
> > and ideas which are just thrown out to improve the proposal (without
> > regard to credit) -- like this one.
>
> To be a valid suggestion, a suggestion must be sent to a public forum:
>
> "A Player may suggest an amendment ... by sending eir suggestion to a =
> public forum."
>
> Anything else will just be a normal comment.
>
> Should I make this more specific and add something like "Comments sent =
> to non-public fora are normal comments and their authors do not become =
> contributors."?
>
> BTW, one problem that this might cause is that players stop posting =
> normal comments because they're not rewarded for those, and a lot of =
> traffic moves to the business list. If this happens, we'd have to find a =
> different method.
>
> The other possibilities that I thought of are these:
>
> - The owner decides whether or not to make someone a contributor. This =
> might actually work, because if people see someone never credits the =
> contributors they'll stop suggesting improvements to his proposals and =
> simply vote no. The problem is that they can't make any proposals on =
> their own since that would be "piracy".
>
> - Everyone who posts a comment that convinces the owner to amend his =
> proposal becomes a contributor. The difficulty is to decide which =
> comments to count (for example you wouldn't want to count "me too" =
> comments).
>

> Another question: Should I include a time limit after which the author =
> needs to decide whether or not to accept the suggestion? There should =
> still be enough time for the contributor to make his own proposal if his =
> suggestions are rejected.
>

> Joerg

Has this sort of thing actually been a problem? Why not just vote against
the Proposals of idea-stealers? You could organize a Party just for
coordinating such things, even. I'm not convinced the Rules should address
this.

--
J.