Jorg Rathlev on 1 Mar 2001 12:46:06 -0000

RE: spoon-discuss: proposals/scoring

> Are 4 Points and 3 APs fair numbers?

No. The whole system is unfair, as it punishes you for others' inactivity.

If you make one proposal and others make two, you spend 3 AP and receive 3 (for voting on three proposals). If you make less proposals compared to others, your income improves, if you make more, it gets negative.

Some sample numbers (proposal ratio -> income):

4:1 -> -12 + 5 = -7
3:1 ->  -9 + 4 = -5
2:1 ->  -6 + 3 = -3
1:1 ->  -3 + 2 = -1
1:2 ->  -3 + 3 =  0 (see text)
1:3 ->  -3 + 4 =  1
1:4 ->  -3 + 5 =  2 (e.g. last week I had 3:12 proposals)

So if last nweek I had made my three proposals but there had been only one other proposal (3:1), I would have lost 5 APs. That's rather bad compared to +6 APs with all the other proposals that were actually made.

Of course, you still receive normal Points for succesful proposals. But you'll have to spend these points the next nweek to be able to make new proposals (because you have lost your APs).

I think the problem with your proposal is the distiction between Points and APs. You spend more APs on making a proposal than you receive for voting on that proposal, and you don't get any additional APs if the proposal gets adopted.

If you use normal points for everything, there's no problem, see the following numbers (proposal fee = 3P, voting award = 1P, adopted proposal = 5P).

                  proposals
                 fail succeed
4:1 -> -12 + 5 =  -7    +13
3:1 ->  -9 + 4 =  -5    +10
2:1 ->  -6 + 3 =  -3    + 7
1:1 ->  -3 + 2 =  -1    + 4
1:2 ->  -3 + 3 =   0    + 5
1:3 ->  -3 + 4 =  +1    + 6
1:4 ->  -3 + 5 =  +2    + 7

You still can make a profit with failed or no proposals by simply voting, but that's the idea of giving people points (one is probably too much) for voting :-)

Joerg