Joel Uckelman on 16 Feb 2001 01:44:08 -0000

Re: spoon-discuss: P398 revision

Quoth =?iso-8859-1?Q?J=F6rg_Rathlev?=:

> > On Wed, Feb 14, 2001 at 12:42:27PM +0100, Jorg Rathlev wrote:
> > > Change "Newbie Players shall be treated like regular Players,=20
> > with the exception that they cannot become Officers or Judges."=20
> > to "Newbie Players shall be treated like regular Players, with=20
> > the exception that they are not eligible voters and cannot become=20
> > Officers or Judges."
> > >=20
> >=20
> > How is that really different from being an Agent?
>

> Oh well... since Agents can do almost everything, the main difference is =
> probably that you can be [AWAY] ;-)
>
> Seriously, the main difference is that you can make motions, even after =
> the rules have been fixed so that Agents cannot. Joel, didn't you plan =
> to make such a proposal?

Yes, but not for this nweek's voting (for which I'm compiling the Ballot
right now). I'll submit it sometime tonight.

> I expected the other difference to be that as a Newbie Player, you can =
> earn points, but looking at the rules again, I see that Agents in fact =
> *do* have scores. Agents can even win the game.

Yep.

> Thinking about it, I realize that Newbie Players can safely become =
> Officers. Officers are elected anyway, and I guess if the majority of =
> Players does not agree with a Newbie becoming a Player, they won't elect =
> him anyway. I'll revise my proposal to allow Newbies to become Officers.
>
> Yet another thought, if there's no big difference between Players and =
> Agents except Players can vote (well now that *is* a big difference, but =
> the rules even leave a possibility for Agents to be voters), doesn't =
> this show that Agents might have too many possibilities?
>

> Joerg

The purpose of Agents (as I had envisioned them) was as a superset of
Players, so we could make Rules that cover both Players and Player-like
entities together. Originally, R120/0 restricted Motions to Players, but
that was unintentionally deleted when it was amended. The Proposal I've
worked out fixes that, and restricts certain Motions to Players only again.

--
J.