Jörg Rathlev on 15 Feb 2001 22:46:52 -0000

RE: spoon-discuss: P398 revision

> On Wed, Feb 14, 2001 at 12:42:27PM +0100, Jorg Rathlev wrote:
> > Change "Newbie Players shall be treated like regular Players,
> with the exception that they cannot become Officers or Judges."
> to "Newbie Players shall be treated like regular Players, with
> the exception that they are not eligible voters and cannot become
> Officers or Judges."
> >

> How is that really different from being an Agent?

Oh well... since Agents can do almost everything, the main difference is probably that you can be [AWAY] ;-)

Seriously, the main difference is that you can make motions, even after the rules have been fixed so that Agents cannot. Joel, didn't you plan to make such a proposal?

I expected the other difference to be that as a Newbie Player, you can earn points, but looking at the rules again, I see that Agents in fact *do* have scores. Agents can even win the game.

Thinking about it, I realize that Newbie Players can safely become Officers. Officers are elected anyway, and I guess if the majority of Players does not agree with a Newbie becoming a Player, they won't elect him anyway. I'll revise my proposal to allow Newbies to become Officers.

Yet another thought, if there's no big difference between Players and Agents except Players can vote (well now that *is* a big difference, but the rules even leave a possibility for Agents to be voters), doesn't this show that Agents might have too many possibilities?

Joerg