Jörg Rathlev on 13 Feb 2001 13:39:10 -0000

RE: spoon-discuss: Re: spoon-business: A proposal by the newbie

> I was meaning to ask you about that, actually. I don't see why I
> shouldn't
> be able to type an ö. See, right there, I just did! :)

Simply because most international keyboards don't happen to have a key for those characters :-)

And some people using such keyboards might be using a keyboard driver that allows typing international characters, and can't change or don't want to change the driver and/or keyboard layout.

> If that comes
> through ok, then I see no reason why you can't have your name spelled
> correctly.

Hmmm, your character worked.

By comparing the mail headers of your mail with those of my mails, I found out that using the iso-8859-1 encoding is ok, but since the mailing list software seems to convert 8bit to 7bit, the 8bit characters have to be translated to 7bit-characters before the mailing list does so. And guess what some idiot at Microsoft set as the default for MIME encoding in Outlook? Yes, it's "none" :-(

To make things (i.e. Outlook) worse, if I set it to qouted-printable, Outlook can't insert line breaks any more (to avoid sending lines longer than 80 chars). Anyway, I've changed the setting now, so let's see if it works: öÖäÄüÜß.

If it works, I'd like to be known as "Jörg", but anyone who cannot type an o-Umlaut character can also write "Joerg", I have no problem with that spelling (actually, it *is* correct).

Joerg,
or Jörg, whatever works best :-)