Joel Uckelman on 14 Nov 2000 03:48:16 -0000

spoon-discuss: voting generalization

So, it occurs to me that voting on Proposals and the voting we might do for
elections are similar enough that maybe we should have a generalized voting
procedure to cover both. But, voting can be seen as a game which takes
certain inputs and gives a single output, the "winner". In the case of
voting on Proposals, the winner (yea or nay) is, barring some complications
introduced by quorum, the one which matches more votes. Though we don't
have any use for it at the moment, a different winner function could be
used--one that, for instance, picks out a minimum or median. If we defined
something like a "simple game", of which "voting" is a particular type, the
conceptual framework for doing things like playing Mediocrity and such
would be available should we decide to do so. Is anybody interested in
something like this?

--
J.

--