Joel Uckelman on 9 Nov 2000 15:47:28 -0000

Re: spoon-discuss: Ballot?

Quoth "Harrison, Andrew":
> <grin> I was just joking. We have had coverage of the US election over here,
> although I guess it's not quite as fever-pitch as you've got it. I hadn't
> really been following it but I'd gathered it all hangs on a few hundres
> votes in Florida. I'd heard something about it not being 100% settled till
> January, so what happens then?

Though the electors are sworn to vote for their candidate, there's nothing
stopping them from changing their votes. Though this virtually never
happens, it's thought to be more likely when the candidate who won the
popular vote didn't also win sufficient states to win the electoral vote.
So, it's remotely possible for Bush to have more electors sworn to vote for
him in the electoral college, yet for enough of them to cast votes for Gore
so that he'd be president instead.

> The Kid

<snip>

--