Craig Daniel on Tue, 29 Jun 2010 13:13:38 -0700 (MST)

Re: [s-b] [s-d] CFI 116

On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 3:28 PM, Ed Murphy <emurphy42@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> teucer wrote:

>>> I'm pretty sure the first sentence of Rule 2 makes this ineffective.
>>
>> None of those names contains any character that is not whitespace,
>> alphanumeric, or punctuation. (Even if you feel the { and } are not
>> punctuation, those are standard delimiters around each of the names,
>> rather than actual parts of the names.)
>
> Yes, but you claimed to change your name to /the set/ of those names,
> which contains names, not characters.

...oh, right. I was looking at it and trying to figure out what
characters you thought I had used that weren't allowed, but of course
the answer is things that aren't characters of any sort. Yeah, that
name change totally fails.

>> I can find nothing in the rules to indicate that entities must only
>> have one name, although it's entirely possible that JamesB is right
>> about me having had to start thus rather than acquiring it via name
>> change.
>
> It's implied for players (Rules 26, 41, 46, 47, and 79 - but contrast
> Rule 60) and ministries (Rule 27).

Many ministries seem to have more than one name; for example, there's
a ministry called the Minister of Default which is also the
Seminobiarch, both of which may refer to the player holding that
ministry, a property Rule 27 attributes to names of ministries. So I
actually see that one as evidence *against* the notion that there
should be only one name per entity.

References to players' names in the singular are merely a function of
that being the normal number. And of course Rule 60 actually seems to
go beyond mere implication in indicating that a player can indeed
acquire additional names.

...actually Rule 60 and 49.B.4 combine to allow something decidedly
more amusing than what I was hoping to do once I'd established my
ability to have multiple names. So:

I hereby change my name to {{Respected One}}.

 - the guy who now automatically has no name at all.