0x44 on Tue, 5 Jan 2010 12:17:47 -0700 (MST)

Re: [s-b] CFI 105

On Jan 5, 2010, at 12:32 PM, Craig Daniel wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 12:30 PM, M P Darke <darkemalcolm@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> I judge CFI 105 UNDECIDED, on the ground that the rules for which action comes first (Sheep Gnome Placement or
>> Gnome Factory Activation) are ambiguous.
>
> I appeal.
>
> ...I also note that the results of overturning a decision of UNDECIDED
> are less than entirely clear about what it becomes next. Anybody want
> to work out a refined appeals system?

I submit the following proposal entitled "Appellation":

{{
  Replace the text of Rule 42 with:
  {{
    Appeals are a special class of CFI that may only be heard by members of the Upper House.

    At any time within seven ndays following the posting of a Judgement on a CFI, any player may Appeal that Judgement creating an Appeal.

    An Appeal's serial number is the serial number of the appealed CFI suffixed with "A1". If an appeal is itself appealed, the new Appeal's serial number is the previous Appeal's serial number with the integer value of the suffix incremented by one.

    An Appeal is Judged by an Appeals Court comprised of the members of the Upper House excluding the initial CFI judge. When a CFI is first appealed, a single member of the Upper House is selected by the Oracle to constitute the Appeals Court. If that Appeal is itself Appealed, a panel of no fewer than two-fifths of the Upper House shall be selected by the Oracle to constitute the Appeals Court. If the judgment of that appeal is itself appealed the entire Upper House excluding the original CFI judge shall constitute the Appeals Court.

    Within seven ndays of eir constitution, an Appeals Court shall give one of the following responses to the Appeal:
    1.) AFFIRMS  - The appeals court affirms the decision made in the prior Judgement.
    2.) VACATES  - The appeals court reverses the decision made in the prior Judgement.
    3.) MODIFIES - The appeals court modifies the decision made in the prior Judgement, and includes a new Judgement.
    4.) REMAND   - The appeals court returns the CFI to the prior Judge for review.

    Regardless of any rule to the contrary, a Judgement by the entire Upper House may not be appealed.
  }}
}}