bnomic on Fri, 13 Feb 2009 11:30:14 -0700 (MST)

[s-b] Comments are even more damaging than previously considered.

Let's concede the point on greedy matching, and assume a non-greedy
interpretation of matching delimiters. The comment text as presented in the
current rule (and the previous rules on which it was based) actually cause
greater problems than we first assumed. Since the text specifies that only
the _text_ inside comment delimiters is considered to be comment text that
has no bearing on the rules, the comment delimiters themselves actually do
appear in the Rule text. Further, since the rule does not specify the order
in which the delimiters must appear, those extraneous delimiters comment
out text between them, as the text of the rule only demands that they
appear between the delimiters.

Looking at that, any game document that contains multiple comments that use
the same delimiter does not contain any game-affecting text between the
comments. Which means, at best, we're in the fourth era of B Nomic as the
Refresh Proposal that purported to bring us into the 5th era contained many
such comments, and therefore consisted solely of comment delimiters and
three clauses purporting to modify rules that did not exist.