M P Darke on Fri, 9 Jan 2009 09:51:01 -0700 (MST)

Re: [s-b] Consultation 183

I wish to protest at J's lack of common sense. If he proves that 0x44's reasoning is incorrect, he proves that he is not a player himself, and that comex is the only player.

I become ordained.

--- On Thu, 8/1/09, Jay Campbell <bnomic@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
From: Jay Campbell <bnomic@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [s-b] Consultation 183
To: "B Nomic - Business" <spoon-business@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thursday, 8 January, 2009, 10:21 PM

I find the Answer below Inconsistent.

"A Game Action that is caused by a Rule instead of by a Forum Post takes
place at the time specified by the rule."

That sentence is a few lines down in the same Rule as the "you must post
to the forum to take an action" quoted below.

Game Actions do not need to be posted to the Public Forum to happen.
There may be other reasons that breathing might not be construed as
explicit consent, but this isn't it.

>> Reasoning:
>> {
>> My Answer is only part of the game if I am an Active Player, and I am
not
>> comex. Hence, the only logical Answer is YES.
>>
>> And now here's why I actually should be answering this question,
i.e. why
>> we're all still Players:
>>
>> comex created a Contract, specifying that Players could become bound
to it
>> by breathing. The contract created the obligation for parties other
than
>> comex to forfeit, and comex triggered this action for all Active
Players
>> (save for himself) a few minutes after creating the Contract.
>>
>> I would argue that no one but comex ever became bound by that
Contract.
>> Thus, he never successfully triggered forfeits, and no one was
deregistered
>> without doing so themselves.
>>
>> Rule 5E10 (Game Actions) states that "A Game Action is defined as
any
>> activity specified by the Rules that changes the state of the
game." In
>> addition, "To perform a Game Action, an Outsider must post a
message to a
>> Public Forum specifying that they are taking that action", though
"The
>> Rules
>> also have the power to cause an Outsider to take Game Actions whether
they
>> post or not."
>>
>> Because breathing would change the state of the game, it is a Game
Action.
>> Though it is reasonable to assume that most Players breathed between
the
>> time the Contract was created and comex tried to deregister em, no
Player
>> breathed to a Public Forum. The only other way for Outsiders
(including
>> Players) to take Game Actions is by posting to such a forum, unless
the
>> Rules cause them to take the Game Action without posting.
>>
>> No part of the Rules ever causes any Player to breathe. Therefore, any
>> breathing that occurs outside of the context of the game (not on a
Public