Ed Murphy on Sat, 20 Dec 2008 01:01:07 -0700 (MST)

Re: [s-b] Consultations on the Pencil Sharpener

Billy Pilgrim wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 8:04 PM, Jamie Dallaire <bad.leprechaun@xxxxxxxxx>wrote:
>
>> {Question: Are the answers to Pondered Consultations correct, after
>>> the Consultations become Pondered?
>>> Unbeliever: ehird
>>> Arguments: if not, then what the fuck is the point of Consultations?
>>> Also, if not, then lots of PDs have been treated as correct because
>>> they reflected game reality as described by Pondered Consultations,
>>> possibly without actually doing so; these having not been ratified,
>>> there have been unfulfilled ministerial obligations at various points
>>> and we're probably in some sort of clock crisis.}
>> This is Consultation 168.
>>
>>> {Question: Do the answers to Pondered Consultations become correct
>>> when the Consultations become Pondered?
>>> Unbeliever: ehird
>>> Arguments: Assuming the above to be found TRUE, as it should be (IMO),
>>> either they become correct when Pondered or they are understood to
>>> have always been correct. Since we have the power to find Inconsistent
>>> those Consultations that don't plausibly reflect pre-Consultation game
>>> reality, I'm inclined to think the answer is No - their truth value
>>> does not change as a result of being Pondered; they're just the final
>>> word on what was or was not already the case.}
>> This is Consultation 169.
>>

> I assign Consultations 168 and 169 to Priest Murphy.

168:  Usually, but not necessarily always, so NO.  But I don't know of
any specific Pondered Consultation that was incorrect at the time.

169:  NO, for basically the reason given by the submitter.  They're the
final word on what we collectively believe was or was not already the
case.  For matters that could reasonably be interpreted in multiple
ways, this effectively decides that one of those ways was right all
along.  For matters where we're mistaken, we remain mistaken until
someone notices, or we adopt legislation explicitly addressing the
issue, or we paper over the issue by approving a relevant PD.