Jay Campbell on Mon, 13 Oct 2008 19:43:53 -0700 (MST)

Re: [s-b] Consultation assignments

Jamie Dallaire wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 13, 2008 at 10:30 PM, Craig Daniel <teucer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

>>> teucer to Consultation 130 "At the time of submission of this
>>> consultation, is the player named Charles the only player with a Baby
>>> Blue sock?" (was Phil's)
>>>
>> Answer: YES.
>>
>> Reasoning: I find the logic behind j's old ruling persuasive - but for
>> the fact that it is missing a key step which invalidates his premise.
>> As I understand the rules, the fact that only a corporation can
>> willfully destroy socks does not mean that the socks cannot be
>> destroyed by the actions of the rules as those rules are traditionally
>> understood to operate. I must therefore agree with those who found his
>> old ruling inconsistent and overturn j's previous Answer. It is thus
>> my contention that socks vanish when their sockholders cease to be
>> players.
>>
>> Oracularity: To clarify the above and prevent further confusion, the
>> following text will be added to the end of rule 4E86:
>> {
>>
>> When a player leaves the game, all of their socks are automatically
>> destroyed.
>> }
>>

> I Claim this Answer and Oracularity to Consultation 130 to be INCONSISTENT.
>
> I agree with the Answer itself. I think the Oracularity would be welcome.
> But the reasoning (which leads to the Oracularity) is, in my opinion, off
> the mark.
>
> The only Rule which allows for the destruction of socks is 4E68, and then
> only by the appropriate Laundry Corp. 4E2 explicitly says that Game Objects
> are not to be destroyed in any manner not called for in the Rules. Since no
> Rule says that Socks cease to be when their Potential Sockholder quits, I'm
> forced to disagree with teucer.

It doesn't say that. "A Laundry Corporation is a Corporation which may
create or destroy socks of its appropriate color." It doesn't say there
Socks can't be destroyed any other way, except the default from 4e2, so
the submitted Oracularity would tie things off neatly.

Er, except reading this, we shouldn't append to rule 86 (Platforms) as
the oracularity specifies. Typo. I find this INCONSISTENT too.