Charles Schaefer on Fri, 10 Oct 2008 01:24:50 -0700 (MST)

Re: [s-b] The Contract of Epimenides

On Thu, Oct 9, 2008 at 12:40 AM, Jay Campbell <bnomic@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> > I submit this Consultation:
> >
> > Question: Is a ZIP file a legal Game Document?
> > Unbeliever: J
> > Reasoning: 4E5 states "Game Documents are Game Objects that consist of
> > text." I submit that not only does the Epimenides attachment fail to
> > qualify as text itself,  the "epimenides.txt" in the encrypted ZIP file
> > purported to create a legal corporation has not been shown to consist of
> > text.

Answer: Maybe
Reasoning: First of all, I believe the wording of the question is slightly
misleading. Teucer did not submit the file itself, he submitted "the
contents of the attached file as the body of a contract". However, this will
not affect the remainer of my reasoning.

Rule 4E5 does indeed require that Game Documents consist of text. However,
it does not require that they consist ONLY of text, just that they have some
amount of text. A ZIP file is a legal game document IF AND ONLY IF it
consists of some text. An answer of YES or NO in this circumstance would be
misleading, since being a ZIP document in itself is not enough to determine
it's status as a game document (and thus a contract). If the ZIP file,
contained, for example, a picture of a cat, it would not be a game document.
If, however, it contained a picture of what would be considered a valid game
document had it been submitted as text, it is then a valid game document.

With regard to the Epimenides contract, I submit the following Oracularity:
"The player named teucer must privately submit to Priest Charles the
password to the encrypted ZIP file purporting to be the Contract of
Epimenides."
Once he has done so, I will examine the file and inform the B Nomic public
whether or not it is a valid game document.