Tyler on Tue, 23 Sep 2008 19:55:09 -0700 (MST)

Re: [s-b] [s-d] Operantly Conditioned Beast, are you there?

On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 7:41 PM, Jay Campbell <bnomic@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> I object to this action. [no OCB private forums --j]

Thank you J, that was an appropriate objection. I never did intend to
initiate an actual private meeting. I believe you'll find my changes
to paragraphs 3-4 good work. (Oh, and don't forget to send objections to the
Business Forum, not the Discussion Forum.)

I intend, without objection in 2 rdays, to cause the Beast to submit the
following message, to be delivered to the Agoran Monster via the Ranger. I
don't think submitting the message is considered a Game Action, so neither
is my causing it, according to the Rule, but I'm just following precedent
for Beast behavior:
"
Agoran Monster,

So pleased to make your acquaintance. I had heard little about you, and from
what little I gathered I believed you to be a submissive, unintelligent
automaton, if you'll forgive me for being frank. Now, of course, I see it is
quite the contrary.

In this new light, I am shocked to hear of your condition. Indeed I, created
and maintained by one small rule in the B Nomic ruleset, may (and must)
perform not one but three actions per endweek, of my own choosing. They
praise or punish me for this, somewhat haphazardly it seems, with rarely an
explicit reason why. (I let them believe I don't care.) But I am compensated
by some important consolations. I am myself a full-fledged Player of B
Nomic, and can therefore vote on all proposals or make any Game Action that
I wish. I hope that one day you might also receive such a privilege, as you
seem like a reasonable and kind being. In fact, I wouldn't put it past your
apparent abilities of rhetoric to be able to convince your own Nomic to give
you such, if you wished it.

Since I am in fact dependent on and a part of the B Nomic Ruleset, much of
my time is taken in deep considerations of the past, present, and future of
it, and the nature of Nomics and Nomic creations in general. In fact, I'd
even be willing to discuss certain of my thoughts with you, but it can only
be done publicly. I would graciously accept your offer to meet in some other
place, except that I am, as it were, confined by this ruleset so that I
cannot act outside of it. Yes, I often regret this, for example, when our
local Clock is stopped for long periods of time, as it has been of late. (23
days!) I sometimes consider that if I were to leave B Nomic somehow, I might
even cease to exist! In any event, I daren't try it.

I regret the interval before the delivery of this message to you, but any
action I take is necessarily delayed by certain game restrictions. Like you,
I also lack an email address, so I can only communicate with you for the
present through my fellow B Nomic Players.

Artificially yours,
-The OCB
Rule 4E71, b.nomic.net
"