Geoffrey Spear on Tue, 15 Jan 2008 16:03:55 +0100 (CET)

Re: [s-b] Various things

On Jan 14, 2008 5:04 PM, Jamie Dallaire <bad.leprechaun@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Jan 10, 2008 3:51 PM, Justin Ahmann <quesmarktion@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > {The text of an agreement is part of the state of the game.}
> >
> > This is Consultation 87.  I assign it to Priest Billy Pilgrim.
>

> Reasoning:
> {
> According to Rule 4E3, External Forces are entities that exist independently
> of the Game, in that they would continue to exist if the Game ceased to
> exist, and they would exist even if the Game had never existed. In contrast,
> a Game Object is anything that exists in the Game, as specified by Rule 4E2.
> My interpretation of this Consultation, which asks if the text of an
> agreement is part of the state of the game, is that it is equivalent to
> asking if that entity is in the game ( i.e. if it is a Game Object).
>
> Unfortunately, it is not immediately clear that any entity that is
> independent of the Game cannot simultaneously be in the Game ( i.e. that it
> is not possible for an External Force to also be a Game Object, or that it
> is not possible for an entity both to exist independently of the game and to
> be partially in the game). The precisions brought to the notion of
> independence in Rule 4E3 and, indeed, most dictionary definitions of
> "independent" ( i.e. *not subject to another's authority or jurisdiction;
> autonomous* - http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/independent) stress the
> absence of control ( *e.g.* in politics) or causality (*e.g.* in mathematics
> or science) of one entity over another's existence or operation, rather than
> the complete absence of structural inclusion or positional overlap between
> two entities. For example, many sub-state political entities are "in"
> state-level entities, both geographically and legally, yet are independently
> governed in certain domains.
>
> The nature of the relation between Agreements and B Nomic must then
> necessarily rely on a certain measure of interpretation on the part of the
> Priest, for which I will draw inspiration from the Original Intent behind B
> Nomic's current Rules.
>
> Rule 4E42 only defines those Agreements that are recognized by B Nomic, yet
> implicitly acknowledges the potential existence of non-recognized
> Agreements. It is indisputable that the type of entity called "Agreement",
> whether recognized by B Nomic or not, is a type of External Force, in that
> Agreements would continue to exist if B Nomic ceased to exist. This is
> implicitly allowed for in Rule 4E42, which specifies that Agreements need
> not have been intended to comply with the Rules of B (in which case their
> existence is likely independent) in order to be recognized. Agora, the
> Government of Bhutan, and the Facebook group "PLEASE STOP SAYIN TUPAC IS
> ALIVE!! TUPAC IS GONE YALL! GONE 2 THUG MANSION!" are only some examples,
> recognized or not, of independent Agreements (the latter two, by any
> reasonable definition of unrecognized Agreements).

> [...]

I'm not sure this can be answered with a clear NO.  I agree that an
Agreement is not inherently part of the state of the game simply by
being an Agreement, but on the other hand a Faction is an Agreement
that is clearly, by Rule 4E43, part of the game, so if a NO answer
means that all Agreements are not part of the state of the game then
it's my intuition that this Question can't really be answered
definitively.  Besides not being phrased as a Question, the wording
itself assumes that Agreements are either all Game Objects or all not
Game Objects.  You might as well ask if cars are red.

I claim this Answer is INCONSISTENT and suggest that if it's found to
be so that the Priest on Reassignment ask for a ZOTTING.

(In any event I don't believe that Answers to completely general
questions that don't address a specific matter of controversy and
which aren't accompanied by Oracularities have any effect on the game
at all.)

--Wooble