William P. Berard on Mon, 26 Nov 2007 21:11:17 +0100 (CET)

[s-b] Proposal : On oracularities

I submit the following proposal, entitled "On oracularities" :

{{
In Rule 2-2, under the section "Oracularities", replace
{
An Oracularity is a special type of Proposal. It may only be submitted
by a Priest in the performance of his duties. If there are limits on
the submission of Proposals, Oracularities are exempt from, and do not
count towards, such limits.
}
By
{
An Oracularity is a special type of Proposal, designed to include in
the ruleset the answer to a specific Consultation. It can only be
submitted by the Priest who answered the Consultation, the Supplicant
who submitted it, or the Unbeliever if there is one.If there are limits
on the submission of Proposals, Oracularities are exempt from, and do
not count towards, such limits.

The Oracularity should be an amendment to the existing rules, aiming at
clarifying and explicitely state a consequence of those rules
aknowledged by the answer to the consultation. As such, the wording of
the consultation should be limited to the Consultation itself, stated
as an affirmative or negative sentence. [[e.g. if the Consultation was
"Can NBirds Fly?" and the answer YES/TRUE/CORRECT, the wording will be
"NBirds can fly". if the answer was negative, the wording will be
"NBirds cannot fly".]]

The wording may also include parts of the Supplicant's reasoning,
and/or of the Priest's reasoning, if needed, to clarify the logical
deduction that led to the conclusion. [[e.g. if the Consultation "Can
NBirds fly" was answered NO on the grounds that according to rule A
NBirds are made of stone, which is heavier than the air, and are inert
object not able to move by themselves, and that according to ruel B
flying is definied as being able to lift oneself in the air, and move
above the ground without any external input of energy (no slingshot,
catapult, cannon...) then the wording could read "NBirds cannot fly as
they are made of stone (see rule A) and, being inert and heavier than
air, they would require an external input of energy to move above the
ground, which contradicts the definition of flying as per Rule B"]]

The Oracularity, in its proposal, must explicetly make reference to the
Consultation it was  derived from. Consultations being pondered or
whose Consistency is being contested cannot be made in Oricularities.
[[However, once the consistency status of an Answer has been decided
upon, the Consultation and its Answer can then be made in an
Oricularity.

Any Player may object, informally, to the wording of an Oricularity, it
is then advised (but in no way compulsary) for the Player who submitted
the Oracularity to revise it until a correct wording is found.

The validation process then follows the one of a regular proposal. Its
scoring is different, and is described in detail in rule 2-6.

[[Bear in mind that an Oracularity will still be voted upon like any
regular proposal, so it is in the submitters interest to try and get
the wording right and as close as possible to the spirit of the
original Consultation in order for the Oricularity to pass...]]
}

Then in rule 2-6 Scoring :

regroup the existing text under the section "Proposal"

Add a second section, entitled "Oracularities", with the following text
:
{
Whenever an Oracularity becomes Historical,
	- Each Player whose Final Vote on the Oracularity was not ABSTAIN
gains 1 point.

	The points if the Oracularity pass fail will be split between Priest
and Supplicant, provided the Supplicant stated clearly his predicted
answer in the reasoning, and that his predicted answer matched the
Priest's Answer.
If there is an Unbeliever (prior to the Anwer to the original
consultation) and he clearely stated his predicted answer, and his
predicted answer matched the Priest's answer, the points will be split
between the Priest and the Unbeliever.

  	-If the Oracularity Passed, Priest and Supplicant/Unbeliever get 0.5
point for each Player whose Final Vote on the proposal was FOR.
	-If the Oracularity was ever Won, Priest and Supplicant/Unbeliever get
0.5 point for each Player whose Final Vote on the proposal was FOR.
	-if, after the summing of positive points, the players are left with a
decimal number of points, their score gets truncated to the previous
integer [e.g 2.5 becomes 2].
	-if the Oracularity failed and was never won, both Priest and
Supplicant/Unbeliever lose 1 point each.

If the Priest's answer did not match the Supplicants predicted answer,
or if the Supplicant did not clearly predict an answer, and if there is
no Unbeliever to share the points with, the Priest become the sole
Author of the Oricularity, and scoring is processed as it would be for
a regular proposal.

}

}}
I am open to suggestion for a potential revision in wording, and
scoring system.

The ruleset do not explicitely states that points have to be integers,
but I assume it makes the game easier to maintain, so I worked the
split around it. bear in mind that, if I read the rules right, a
Proposal pass and won gives twice the amount of points than a proposal
failed and won. And Proposal can be failed and won only in case of
conflict/dependecy culling. which si bound to be rare for Oricularities
unless they conflict or depends on proposal changing some of the rules
that lead to the Answer. so most splits should be even, and, if not,
well, you'll get slightly less points

I did not want to remove the penality of 3 points, but making it 1.5
each was a bit tricky, so I rounded it down (effectively rounding the
player scores up)  to compensate for the potential lost in rounding
previously mentioned.

This will probably require a better explanation of the Unbeliver
system, stating that when a player submits a proposal without
mentioning an unbeliever, any player should be able to claim he is an
Unbeliever (and, possibly, expose a reasoning) before the Consultation
gets answered, so Unbelievers can have their share of the cake too..

The fact that, at the end of the day, everyone will still get to vote
and votes will be tallyed in the normal fashion should prevent attempts
at abusing the system by a tripartite plot between Oracle, Supplicant
and Priest. Trying to come up with a bogus consultation and its answer
to try an implement an abusive rule should be prevented.

Also feel free to submit a tidiness list, I'm tired and all I got on
this client is a spellchecker in French, for some reason...

--
Will.