William P. Berard on Sun, 25 Nov 2007 02:43:25 +0100 (CET)

[s-b] Consultation on blueprints and devices

I submit the following Consultations:

A)

{{
Is it true that any player can define a blueprint?
}}

Reasoning: Rule 3-12 do not state anything as far as who can or cannot
define a blueprint. On top of this, Rule 3-14 states:

"Any player with sufficient currency may purchase a device from the
Ministry of Goods. Upon purchase, a device is instantly defined based
on a blueprint designated by this player, who becomes the device owner.
The price, as specified by the blueprint in question, is instantly
subtracted from this player's currency."

Nothing is said about the designated blueprint, the blueprint the
player chooses, it could be owned by anyone, and defined by anyone.

I am completely new to the game, but from what I gathered in the rules,
it seem there is a subtext that the Artisan is the only one able to
define and own blueprints. Am I reading this right? A tighter rule need
to be written for this to be properly enforced. This leads me to my
second consultation :

B)
{{
Can a player, other than the Artisan, own one or several blueprints?
}}

Reasoning : Rule 3-12 do not state anything about this, nor does 3-12.
However, now that I am reading this, A Blueprint is an Object, not a
Device. As such, it does not have an Owner attribute. I take it then
that blueprints cannot be owned, and are in the public domain? I am
thinking a set of rules that could establish an economy in the game,
and, as such, ownership or opensource-ness of blueprints are crucial.

C)
This might seem a silly one, and perhaps need not a proper, formal,
consultation, but I am submitting it as one, since consultations end up
in the Wiki, whereas informal discussions and Q and A do not. As a
newcomer to the game, my only source of information on the state of the
game prior to my joining as a player is the wiki, and I think having
this answered clearly (and, possibly, added to Rule 3-12) would clarify
the situation, especially for future players.
{{
Does a device (unique or not) need a corresponding, existing blueprint
to be defined?
}}
Reasoning : Rule 3-12 do not mention anything saying that devices need
to be created from blueprints. It might seem obvious that it has to be
the case, but it is not explicitely stated. The rule mentions, however
: "The rule or rules defining a device detail the powers associated
with it." Which means that devices are defined in a rule, but it does
not state that a pre-existing blueprint is needed, so, virtually, any
Player could sumbit a Proposal  of a rule defining a device, straight
away, and specifying the value of its owner attribute, without going
through the blueprint phase, nor needing the Artisan to get it defined
from a blueprint.

One might argue that this loophole, if it is one, would be
self-regulatory: if a player submits a proposal for a ruel defining a
device and setting the owner of this device to himself, other players
would be very likely to vote against this proposal. But on the other
hand, it seems from what I grasp here and there on the mailing lists (I
still feel like I've walked in the middle of a complicated political
situation) that the game is starting to evolve towards something
faction orientated, and a Player from faction A could submit a proposal
of a rule to create a terrible, doomsday device (say, the "selective
nuclear bomb") whose effect would be to reduce voting powers
/health/points of all players from faction B; this proposal could be
backed up by faction B, and, with careful timing (if some players from
faction B are on holiday...), pass. This is just an hypothetic example,
but you know what I mean... ;-]