Peter Cooper Jr. on Mon, 2 Jul 2007 15:53:29 -0700 (MST)

Re: [s-b] Proposal: Completely Redoing Posts

I revise my "Completely Redoing Our Post System" proposal to the
following:

__Completely Redoing Our Post System__
{{
  [[
  This is a bit different than the kinds of systems we've had
  before. At the start of each nweek, we stop the clock and don't
  start it again until we know that we have people to handle tasks for
  that nweek. That way, people are only signing up for a job one nweek
  at a time, and if somebody suddenly becomes unavailable, they can be
  replaced easily. In addition, it kind of lets the person who has the
  time to update things at the start of the nweek do it that
  nweek. Especially as people have different schedules and the nweek
  doesn't sync up with the real-world week, it can be handy to just
  let whoever is available update everything. Also, it means that if
  we don't have enough players in posts to continue the game, the game
  stays paused until we do. I don't think we really need "elections"
  as such, because usually the trouble is finding somebody willing to
  do the tasks, not too many people wanting to do the tasks.

  Feedback, thoughts, and ideas welcome. This, like everything in
  nomic, is just a starting point.

  Revision 126/8:
   - Use term "ministries" instead of "posts" for nostalgia and to
     avoid possible confusion with forum posts.
  ]]

  [[
  I don't want these changes to happen in the middle of resolving
  other proposals, and since a proposal is just a list of changes I
  don't think I can set up a "delayed triggered ability" in here to
  list changes that I want to take place at a later point in time. So,
  my solution is to create a rule, which will fire at the start of the
  nweek, essentially right after all the other props pass.
  ]]
  Create a new Rule named "Setting up the Minister System" with text
  {{
    At the beginning of the nweek, the following actions happen:
    {{
      Remove rules 1-5, 3-3, and 3-4.

      Create the following Section with the enclosed Rules in it:
      __Ministries__
      {{
        __Ministries__
        {{
          A Ministry is a Game Object that can be assigned to at most
          one Player. It represents the responsibility of that Player
          to keep Players aware of the state of a particular aspect of
          the game.

          A Ministry that is not assigned to a player is Vacant.

          The terms "post holder", "pot holster", "post holder
          designate", and "Minister" refer to the Player in possession
          of a given Ministry. This can be abbreviated "PHD".
        }}

        __Assigning Ministries__
        {{
          A Player may, as a Game Action, assign a Vacant Ministry to
          emself.
        }}

        __Resigning from Ministries__
        {{
          A Minister may Resign from eir Ministry via Game Action. At
          that time, the Ministry becomes Vacant.
        }}

        __Usurping Ministries__
        {{
          A Player may, as a Game Action, declare eir intent to Usurp
          a non-Vacant Ministry. Each time this happens, Players other
          than the current Minister of that Ministry have until the
          second time midnight UTC occurs afterward to Object to that
          action. If no player does so, at that time the Ministry is
          no longer assigned to the previous Minister and is assigned
          to the Usurper instead.
        }}

        __Ministry Rewards and Vacating__
        {{
          At the end of each nweek, each player who is a Minister
          gains 10 points. Then, all Ministries become Vacant.
        }}

        __Public Displays__
        {{
          A Public Display is a display of an aspect of the current
          state of the game in a form easily accessible to all
          Players. Good Public Displays can include the B Nomic Wiki
          or posting on a regular basis to a Public Forum.
        }}

        __List of Ministries__
        {{
          The following Ministries exist:

          * The Minister of Law, also known as the Rulekeeper, is
            responsible for maintaining a Public Display of the
            current Rules and Victory Conditions.

          * The Minister of Change, also known as the Chairman, is
            responsible for maintaining a Public Display of the
            current Proposals, including whether they have passed or
            failed if applicable.

          * The Minister of Questions, also known as the Oracle, is
            responsible for maintaining a Public Display of the
            current Consultations.

          * The Minister of Society, also known as the Registrar, is
            responsible for maintaining a Public Display of the
            current Players and eir Attributes and Properties, as well
            as a Public Display of the current Public and Discussion
            Fora.

          * The Minister of Rule Tag, also known as the Rule Tag
            Moderator, is responsible for maintaining a Public Display
            of the current Rule Tag Locations of all Rule Tag Objects

          * The Minister of Ministries, also known as Kurt Gödel or
            the MoM, is responsible for maintaining a Public Display
            of the current Ministries and their Ministers, as well as
            maintaining a Public Display of the current state of the
            Clock. E is also responsible for tracking any state of the
            game that isn't covered by some other Ministry.
	}}
      }}.

      In Rule 0, change
      {{
        The PEP who was most recently known as the game's
        Administrator becomes the Emergency Coordinator.
      }}
      {{
        The PEP who most recently held the Minister of Ministries
        becomes the Emergency Coordinator.
      }}
      and change
      {{
        the identity of the Administrator
      }}
      {{
        current holders of any Ministries
      }}.

      In Rule 1-4, change
      {{
        the Administrator privately instead.
      }}
      {{
        the Player e most recently knew was Registrar privately
        instead.
      }}
      and change all other instances of "Administrator" to
      "Registrar".

      In Rule 1-8, change "Administrator" to "Rulekeeper".

      In Rule 2-1, change
      {{
        If the nday would be set to a value greater than 12, instead
        it is set to 1, and the nweek is incremented by 1.

        The Clock may be changed from Off to On or from On to Off as a
        Game Action by the Administrator. When the Clock is turned On,
        the ndelay is set to zero.
      }}
      {{
        If the nday would be set to a value greater than 12, instead
        it is set to 1, the nweek is incremented by 1, and the Clock
        becomes Off.

        The Clock may be changed from On to Off as a Game Action by
        the MoM.

        If there are no Vacant Ministries, the Clock may be changed
        from Off to On as a Game Action by the MoM. When the Clock is
        turned On, the ndelay is set to zero.
      }}.

      In Rule 2-2, change all instances of "Administrator" to
      "Chairman", and change "When Voting ends" to "At the beginning
      of each nweek". [[Moving proposal-passing to the start of the
      next nweek makes it more clearly the responsibilities of the
      Ministers of the nweek, and more closely matches what happens in
      reality anyway.]]

      In Rule 2-5, change
      {{
        There exists a post called the "Oracle", he holds the staff of
        ZOT.
      }}
      {{
        The Oracle holds the staff of ZOT.
      }}.

      In Rule 4-4, change
      {{
        There will be a post titled "Rule Tag Moderator". Ey may also
        be known as "The Bearer of the Wobbly Hat of Justice."
      }}
      {{
        The Rule Tag Moderator may also be known as "The Bearer of the
        Wobbly Hat of Justice," and has the following restrictions,
        responsibilities, and powers:
      }}
      and remove the text
      {{
        Censure: If in a given nweek the rule tag moderator fails to
        post the required notifications by nday 2, ey shall lose 20
        points.

        Award: 10 points per nweek.
      }}.

      Change the Clock to be Off.