all players on Sun, 26 Nov 2006 18:31:32 -0700 (MST)

Re: [s-b] (proposal) Re: [s-d] Joining.

On 11/21/06, comex <comexk@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tuesday 21 November 2006 4:46, Peter Cooper Jr. wrote:
> > Peter Cooper Jr. wrote:
> > > How about "", &#955;, or &#949;,
> >
> > Those last two were meant to be a lowercase lambda and epsilon, although
> > apparently my webmail client didn't deal with those very well.
>
> Now that I'm a player I submit a proposal:
>
> Quote Fun
> {{
> Add to rule 1-4 the following:
> {{
> For the purposes of uniquely identifying Players' names, the presence of any
> quote characters (") shall be disregarded.
> }}
> }}

One issue here is that there's nothing preventing a player's name from
containing quote characters. If this rule passed, then you could have
players named q{x"y} and q{xy} - but references to them would always
be ambiguous. Perhaps a better solution would be to restrict player
names to alphanumeric and whitespace characters, so that quoting would
be unambiguous where needed. As such, I submit the following proposal:

{{
__Finite search space__

Append the following to rule 1-4:
{{
Player names must consist of between 1 and 64 characters from the
following list:
* Letters of the alphabet
* Underscores (_), dashes (-), or apostrophes (')
* Decimal digits
* Spaces

For the purposes of identifying players, and determining uniqueness of
names, the following conventions are to be used:
* Uppercase letters are to be considered equivalent to their lowercase
counterparts, and vice-versa.
* Sequences of one or more consecutive spaces are to be considered identical.
* Leading or trailing sequences of spaces may be disregarded or introduced.

Where a player's name might be ambiguous with other grammatical forms,
it may be surrounded by double quote characters (") to differentiate
it from surrounding text.
}}

Should any player names remain which are illegal or non-unique
according to rule 1-4, the Administrator shall change them to new,
unique, legal names, as determined by the guidelines in rule 1-4.
}}