Peter Cooper Jr. on Mon, 1 Aug 2005 19:44:42 -0500 (CDT)

[s-b] Win Attempt

I think our winning rules are somewhat unclear, and I'm going to
demonstrate how via trying to use them (or at least, the line of
reasoning I went through while reading them).

Rule 3-12 states that "Any player may Win at any time by declaring so
in a public forum, but only if a sentence in the Ruleset other than
this one explicitly permits it."

Rule 1-3's last paragraph states that "A text to the effect that "any
player may do X" should be interpreted to mean that X is a Game
Action."

Thus, Winning is a Game Action, as long as a sentence besides the one
in r3-12 permits it.

Rule 1-3's first paragraph states that "Any Outsider may take any Game
Action at any time unless the rules say otherwise."

Thus, rule 1-3 permits me to take any Game Action, including the one
defined in rule 3-12 of winning. (Since r1-3's sentence is a different
sentence than the one in r3-12.)

Therefore, I win, as a game action.

(DQT, when fixing the rules after eir win, didn't put back the
"Players may not win" sentence, which seemed superfluous at the time,
but may in fact have been needed.)

Argue whether or not I'm right at your leisure. I'm certainly not sure
whether or not I am, but I'll try to defend the position for now at
least.

--
Peter C.
"When you make chocolate chip cookies before breakfast, all need for