Daniel Lepage on Sat, 31 Jul 2004 12:05:17 -0500 (CDT)

[Spoon-business] Comment Fix

A slight fix in how we define comments, because I think the current way is flawed - it simply states that text between opening and closing brackets is comment, whereas we only want to to be comment between an opening pair and the next closing pair.

{{
__Fact from Fiction__

Amend rule 8 to read:
{{
__Comments__

The strings '[[' and ']]' are Comment Delimiters. In any body of text related to the game, excepting this rule and any documents that explicitly state of themselves that they are exempt, all text between an occurrence of '[[' and the next occurrence of ']]' is considered to be "comment" text. Comment text exists solely for elucidative or demonstrative purposes - it has no bearing on the content of the document, and the document is treated as if the text was not there at all (except for the purposes of copying, etc.).
[[
Doing it this way is necessary, because under the former wording one could claim that two comments implicitly commented the space between them. For example:
[[ Hahahaha! ]]
At the beginning of each nweek, the player known as Wonko is awarded a Win.
[[ Neener!]]

If the above were in a rule and the former version of r8 were in effect, one could make the argument that since the winning clause is between opening brackets and closing brackets, it is comment text, regardless of whether the opening was closed first (it's between the opening of the first comment and the closing of the second).
]]

}}
}}

--
Wonko

There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.
      -Steven Wright