Daniel Lepage on Sat, 31 Jul 2004 11:47:48 -0500 (CDT)

[Spoon-business] Pawns at Dawn

Note that I don't claim to have any actual skill at chess; I merely think this would be an interesting way to use Offers, and I don't mind if I lose. IIRC, bd, Glotmorf, and The Voice are eligible to accept this, as is anyone else who joins INH (it costs 15 points to join, see INHCharter on the wiki)

{{
__Pawns at Dawn__

Any Player who is a member of INH may accept this Offer; no other entities may. The player who accepts this Offer is herein referred to as the "Opponent". The player who submitted this Offer is herein referred to as "Wonko".

Wonko and the Opponent will, through private emails, conduct a standard game of chess by email (herein referred to as the "game"). Upon the completion of this game, the party who wins the game (the "Winner") will be owed services from the other party (the "Loser"). The Loser is required to perform the following services:

During the first full nweek following the completion of the game, the Loser's votes on each proposal for that nweek's ballot must match the votes of the Winner, and e may not change them except to match the Winner's. Note that the Loser is considered to have complied if the Winner votes, the Loser votes identically, and then the Winner resubmits votes such that the Loser no longer has identical votes

The Contingency, should the Loser fail to vote properly at the appointed time, or fail to adhere to the guidelines specified above, is 60 points and 300~, which the Loser must pay to the Winner; if the Loser does not have enough points or tildex, then the Contingency is as much of the above totals as the Loser can provide.

The following rules shall apply to the game of chess:
* Wonko and the Opponent will take moves by sending emails to each other containing the moves, in any reasonable format. * When it is either player's turn, e shall have 10 ndays to make eir move; if e fails to do so within that time, e is considered to have forfeited the game. * The standard rules of chess shall be used for determining which pieces may be moved, when the game is over, etc. * The Opponent shall choose which color e wishes to play (and Wonko will thus play the other color) * Should Wonko and the Opponent at any time agree to a change in the rules of the game of chess, that change shall take effect and be used for the remainder of the game.

}}

--
Wonko

In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time someting like that happened in politics or religion.
      -Carl Sagan, 1987 CSICOP Keynote Address