Zarpint on Fri, 7 May 2004 21:38:32 -0500 (CDT)

[Spoon-business] Smartass

All right, Sagitta, you've been trying hard enough.

I make the following Declaration of Extreme Cleverness:
{{
Whereas Sagitta consistently makes irritatingly witty comments, as
exemplified in the following QUOTE-delimited quotes:

QUOTE

> Signs of crime: screaming or cries for help.

Yes, both very suspicious activities.

> So.  What would make the Technologies prop palatable?

It would taste better to me if there was no need to research - just
perform some strange, and not trivially easy, combinations of actions.
For example, take a cup of coffee, add a chocolate eclair, and spend 10
points for a Potion of Hyperactivity.  Or resign from a ministry and
give all your tildex back to the bank to create a point of Good Karma.
Or curse yourself while you are the Style Police to become the Cultural
Critic.  That kind of strangeness.

> Proposal 1851/0: The Painted Face of Death (Zarpint)
Yes
I'm almost tempted to die lots of times as soon as this passes.

Randy the dice roller.  And a Sage, Rosemary, to
keep the time.  There may be better titles waiting out there for some
of these individuals.

Although I'm mystified why the founder of a society for abusing this
Nomic would abhor abusing others.

> Proposal 1839/0: Sophistry (Teucer)
Yes
I like tangled philosophies.

> Proposal 1840/1: Kill the BNS (Zarpint)
Yes!
Kill it!

> Proposal 1841/0: Any Sufficiently Advanced Magic is Indistinguishable
>                  from Technology (M-Tek)
No
Because I have a vague dislike of M-Tek.

We would also be vulnerable to pranks or worse from other games.
Suppose I buy a Potion Of Belching from Y Nomic and then, during our
voting period, Y Nomic changes its Export List to say that a Potion Of
Belching prevents any changes to the ruleset from occuring, and cannot
be destroyed or transferred.  In the very unlikely event that one of us
notices this obscure alteration immediately, we still can't do anything
about it before it takes effect.

Another possibility is for Z Nomic to export a candy as a palatable
confection, but for a brief period (perhaps only seconds) change its
definition to a deadly poison that causes anyone possessing it to lose
the game.  You take one from a stranger and then, one nweek after the
change of recipe on the Z Nomic export list, you drop dead.  And when
someone claims Z Nomic changed the description, how do we know whether
e's telling the truth?

What if
you announce in a public forum that you are paying a hundred points to
Doyle The Barbarian of X Nomic in exchange for eir Elven Chain Letter,
but Doyle does nothing?

Thereby winning at great cost to eir brain and
liver.
QUOTES

and whereas some of those quotes, like the votes, are statements of actions,

I Declare that Sagitta is Extremely Clever, and should be awarded the
Galactic Institute's Prize for Extreme Cleverness.
}}

--
Zarpint Jeremy Cook    "All thy toiling only breeds new dreams, new dreams;
mcfoufou@xxxxxxxxx         there is no truth saving in thine own heart."