Baron von Skippy on 6 Mar 2004 21:48:30 -0000

[Spoon-business] CFI 1818 judgment

>I submit a CFI;
>

>{{statement: Proposal 1800 has no effect.
>
>Plaintiffs analysis: As stated previously, the philosophical mandate
>Platonism does not fulfil the requirements of a Philosophical Mandate.
>Specifically, while it has a "statement of a permission not available to
>players who don't hold that Philosophy" - in this case {{A Platonist may
>vote four times FOR any proposal which was shelved on a previous ballot}}
>- but the only restriction in the Philosophical Mandate is against doing
>something that no Player without Philosophical Mandate could do anyway,
>thus breaching Rule 1252s requirement that "said permission is accompanied
>by a restriction not imposed on players who don't hold that Philosophy"
>
>Proposal 1800 therefore either fails, or has no effect if it passes.
>
>Defendant: Teucer}}

I Judge FALSE on CFI 1818.

Analysis: The passage of a proposal has some effect on the game - Teucer got points, a philosophy was added to the Body of Philosophy, and (indirect effect) you CFIed and I'm jugding.

This doesn't mean I disagree with your sentiment, but your phrasing didn't ask the right question.

The Platonism Philosophy itself does nothing if a player adopts it, for the reasons SkArcher explained. There is no restriction countering the added power of the player using those four votes. I personally interpret the test of the philosophy to be "an explanation of the Philosophy," which is just some pretty fluff with no meaning for the game, similar to a philosophy which said "a Foobarist may paint any other player blue once per nweek." Doesn't do anything.

In the interests of not making a mess for someone else to deal with, I create a CFI:

{{
Statement: If a player adopts the Platonism philosophy, that player does not get any additional voting powers.

Analysis: There is no "restriction not imposed on players who don't hold [the Platonism] Philosophy" (r1252) to counter the "permission not available to players who don't hold [the Platonism] Philosophy" (r1252), namely the ability to "vote four times FOR any proposal which was shelved on a previous ballot" (Platonism philosophy). As such, the permission does nothing and should be treated as "an explanation of the Philosophy" (r1252), which has no effect on the gamestate.

Defendant: Teucer
}}

[[BvS]]