Wonko on 16 Nov 2002 04:33:03 -0000

[Spoon-business] Doing it right

Okay, now the right forum. My address book still had bnomic-private in it;
it picked one at random to send to, apparently. In this real version, I've
fixed some things, like the conflict with Glotmorf's bandwidth prop and the
fact that I forgot to say what rule to replace with the new society rule
(that could have been bad).

I submit the following 2 proposals, both of type 1/2:

{{
__Dummy 1__

Repeal rule 819.
}}
{{
__Dummy 2__

Repeal rule 1147.
}}

That exhausts my Token-of-Proposals Bonus Bandwidth. But since modification
doesn't involve bandwidth, I can now amend these 2 proposals into full
proposals, confident that they will not count any more towards my Bandwidth.
;)

I amend my proposal entitled Dummy 1 to be:
{{
__Get Rid of 'em Already!__

Remove the last two paragraphs of rule 19.
Remove the fourth paragraph of rule 212.
[[excising 1/2 props - they do nothing that can't be done with A la cartes,
and they let me do this.]]
}}

and my one entitled Dummy 2 to be:
{{
__Patching up Societies__

Amend rule 208/0 to read:
{{
__Proxies__
A player may designate another player or society to be the holder of eir
proxy, with or without restrictions. The holder of a proxy may, depending on
any restrictions issued along with the proxy, cast a vote in the name of the
player whose proxy is held, on any matter requiring a vote, including, but
not limited to, proposals and calls for judgment. When this happens, the
player whose proxy is held is considered to have cast the vote, instead of
the proxy-holder. [[so that people can't reap multiple contrary-vote points
off of proxies]] A player who has given eir proxy to be held may withdraw it
at any time.
}}

[[This lets societies vote for players if the players give eir proxies to
the societies. I also figured I might as well fix the "multi-contrary-vote
bonus" loophole in the proxies, as long as I'm changing the rule.]]

Amend rule 578/14 to be as follows:
{{
__Societies__

I. Definition
    A society is a group of entities, called the Members of that society,
who agree to be governed by a set of publicly visible rules, called the
Charter of that society, and who have become members of that society in a
manner prescribed by either the rules or by the society's Charter.

II. Actions
    A society is capable of taking the following actions, subject to the
restrictions listed in this rule and in all other rules:

Accepting new members
Evicting current members
Destributing possessions of the society to its members
Modifying its charter
Disbanding and destroying itself
Making proposals
Changing proposals it has made

Restrictions:
    A society does not take actions unless its charter dictates that it
does. A society cannot take any action that is forbidden by one or more game
rules. A society cannot issue a proposal unless its bandwidth is at least 1.

III. Possessions
    Societies may possess any object that a player could legally possess. A
society may transfer any or all of its possessions to any other entity that
could possess those objects, but does so only when its charter dictates that
it does.
    Any player may transfer a game object they possess which they could
legally give to another player to any society, unless a rule prohibits this.

IV. Score
    Each society has a Point Balance. When a society gains points, those
points are destroyed and the society's Point Balance increases by the number
of points. When a society loses points, its Point Balance decreases by the
amount of points lost. A society with a positive Point Balance may give
points up to its Point Balance to any entity which can possess points; the
society lose points equal to the number given. If a society's Point Balance
is negative, it may not give points to any other entity, although other
entities may give points to it if the rules permit it. If a society with a
Negative Point Balance is disbanded, its members each lose |PB|/n points,
rounded up, where PB is the Point Balance of that society, and n is the
number of members. If a society has a negative Point Balance and only one
member, and that member leaves the society, the member first loses points
equal to the magnitude of the society's Point Balance.

V. Bandwidth
    Societies may possess Bandwidth. When a society makes a proposal, its
bandwidth decreases by the amount a player's bandwidth would decrease if
that player made that proposal. A society may not make a proposal if doing
so would reduce its Bandwidth below zero. Any player may transfer a point of
Bandwidth from emself to any society.

VI. Charm
    Societies possess Charm. When a society's proposal passes, its Charm
increases by one. When a society's proposal fails, its Charm decreases by
one. Any society may transfer a point of Charm from itself to any player,
but only as its charter dictates.
    If a society with negative Charm is disbanded, its members each lose
|C|/n points, rounded up, where C is the Charm of that society, and n is the
number of members. If a society has negative Charm and only one member, and
that member leaves the society, the member first loses Charm equal to the
magnitude of the society's Charm.

VII. Creation
    Once per nweek, each player may create a new society whose only member
is that player.

VIII. Clarification
    [[Everything in this section is technically covered by some other part
of this rule, but is included here to make it as clear as possible how the
preceding sections are to be interpreted.]]
    Membership in a society is entirely at the discretion of the member. No
player may be forced to become a member of a society, and any player may
choose to leave a society rather than fulfill a requirement set forth in
that society's charter. If the last member of a society leaves that society,
the society ceases to exist. [[because without members, it no longer fits
the definition of a society.]]

}}
}}

--