Glotmorf on 12 Nov 2002 05:35:03 -0000

[Spoon-business] Proposal: Dues

I could go ahead and mandate this, but I'd prefer to wait for Dave to recognize my earlier actions.  Once he does that I'll go ahead and make it so.  If for some reason they don't get recognized, this can go on the ballot.

{{ _Giving Societies Their Dues_

Add to the end of subsection C.1 of Rule 578 the following:

A Society can collect from its members' inventories, attributes or dimensions quantities as specified in its charter; this is called "collecting dues".  The circumstances under which dues are collected -- for example, amount, frequency, etc. -- must be specified in the society's charter.  A society can be created with provisions for collecting dues; an existing society can only add or change provisions for collecting dues by a unanimous vote of its members, regardless of whatever other method of changing its charter it may use.

}}

It should be clear that with the above implemented no one would be victimized by a society; either they would join a society knowing it collected dues from its members, or they would consent to the society starting to collect dues from its members.

This is essentially what I proposed last nweek, though with the unanimous consent provision added.  It would allow M-Tek to continue as it had been with the addition to its charter of something like:

"M-Tek collects dues from each non-Prez member in the form of one bandwidth for every bandwidth the Prez contributes to M-Tek, unless any one non-Prez member has no bandwidth to contribute."

I do not, by the way, consider "Members of M-Tek are ousted if they fail to contribute at least one bandwidth per nweek" an alternative.  I don't want to oust members.  That's rather the point.

						Glotmorf

-----
The Ivory Mini-Tower: a cyber-anthropologist's blog
http://ix1.1sound.com/ivoryminitower