Glotmorf on 14 Oct 2002 11:28:02 -0000

Re: [Spoon-business] NWEEK 24 BALLOT

On 10/12/02 at 9:17 PM David E. Smith wrote:

>The following measures are on the ballot for nweek 24. (A couple of the
>ones labeled "The Administrator" are actually Unauthored. I'll try to fix
>that one in the database, well, someday.)
>
>Proposal 1063/0: The Fish is Dead, Long Smell the Fish (Glotmorf)

The tower serves no purpose now; while it admittedly looks neat on Orc's graphic, I'm not convinced that's a sufficient reason to keep it.

I vote yes.

>Proposal 1064/0: How's This for Feng Shui? (Glotmorf)

This allows the landscape to be altered into both positive and negative elevation.  At the moment, all we can do is dig.

I vote yes.

>Proposal 1065/0: Rock On! (Glotmorf)

This allows for big rocks to plug up holes that may form...this may become significant if we dig down to the void.

I vote yes.

>Proposal 1066/0: To Curse Once More (Wonko)

This is one of many situations that will be cleaned up by p1067; so if p1067 is voted in, this amounts to a triple freebie for Wonko: proposal, prose and haiku.

I vote no.

>Proposal 1067/0: Let Me Make One Thing Perfectly Clear... (Glotmorf)

This cleans up a good chunk of the "players may vote", "there exists an item known as <item>", etc. arguments being bandied about right now.  It means the rules work together and collectively, rather than in direct opposition to each other.

I vote yes.

>Proposal 1072/1: Crime Doesn't Pay (Wonko)

This creates a situation that Wonko claims exists now, but doesn't actually: squares in space.  R301 defines surface squares as being the topmost squares in grid locations without modification.  If these six cells exist, they'll be the new surface squares, which theoretically create 19 tunnelable squares underneath them.  One could therefore get out of jail by having the underlying squares tunneled. (Is this a bug or a feature?)

Also, at the moment r949 is messed up, in that you can't move from a square to a much lower square, but it doesn't say you can't move from a square to a much higher one.  It may be possible to move into jail, but not out of it.

And there's *still* no provision for what happens if all the cells are full.  I really don't think cells should be grid squares at all, but instead should be some secondary limbo.

I vote shelve.

>Proposal 1074/0: Stop It! (Wonko)

I still don't like this one; it's too open-ended, and we already have an awful lot of unjudged CFIs. Besides, we're all pains in the ass at some time or other, so we'd probably all get kicked multiple times each nweek.

And I still don't think it's a haiku.  Did anyone ever come up with a decent definition of "poetic feet"?

I vote no.

>Proposal 1080/0: Wind (Again) (The Voice)

I personally wouldn't mind seeing thrown things get plastered against the boundaries as a result of a sudden gale, but the reason I'm asking this be shelved is that it doesn't allow for Airborne things (r301.b.4) or airspeeders.

I vote shelve.

>Proposal 1083/0: Chads, Hanging and Otherwise (The Voice)

I still think there are proposals that just need to be voted down.  If someone has a tendency to make proposals that just need to be voted down, this would enable that person to interfere with their just being voted down.

I vote no.

>Proposal 1087/0: Voting For The Present (Glotmorf)

Right now, there's nothing stopping any newbie from voting, even if e joins on nday 9, since e's still joining before some voting period in the future.  While I have no problem with 404notfound as a person (though e still hasn't judged the CFIs assigned to em), I don't think e should have been able to vote.

I vote yes.

>Proposal 1088/0: You Go, Whatever-passes-for-gender-among-orcs!
>                 (The Administrator)

To quote an unimportant source: "Okay.  That was good."

I vote yes.

>Proposal 1089/0: Yes, My Friend, You are Bold, but Are You Also...Daring?
>                 (The Administrator)

I may not like some of the things Wonko does, or some of the arguments e makes, but at times I gotta admire eir spirit, especially when it comes to losing just about everything and cheerfully keeping with the game.

I vote yes.

>Proposal 1091/0: Visualize (Orc In a Spacesuit)

After careful consideration, I've decided that the items in this that need cleaning up don't interfere with the process of collecting submissions, and can therefore be fixed later in the interests of opening this up now.

I vote yes.

>Proposal 1092/0: A New Wing for The Gallery (Orc In a Spacesuit)

See above.

I vote yes.

>Proposal 1093/0: Guys aren't eirs! (Orc In a Spacesuit)

The current r7 doesn't mandate the use of Spivak pronouns; this does.

I vote no.

>Proposal 1095/0: Nweek 24 Insta-Prop (House Grem)

I vote yes.

>Proposal 1096/0: But This Is Less than I Started With! (Glotmorf)

I was for the whole thing until Orc pointed out that right now points can't be bought with BNS.  The trouble is, it still does something useful, in that it means units of raw material can't be bought.  So I'll take the point-purchase risk for now and we can do away with that part later.

I vote yes on part 1, yes on part 2.

>Proposal 1097/0: Cleanup on Aisle 1073! (Glotmorf)

This should boil r1073 down to its essentials, and leave the charter stuff in the charter.

I vote yes.

>Proposal 1100/0: Fixing the Broken Shelf (The Administrator)

As I said before, the reason for having shelved props count against bandwidth, if fractionally, is so that someone doesn't have a bunch of shelved props outstanding that can be changed to something totally different from what they were before shelving.  If I'm shelving Orc's boombox prop, I'm not doing it so e can turn it into a pizza delivery prop the following nweek.

I vote no.

>Proposal 1101/0: The Worst Thing Since Sliced Bread (The Administrator)

Part 1: There are various things that can cause a player to have a lowered bandwidth; this overrides them as much as the original does.  Therefore, this is not a fix.

I vote no.

Part 2: You gotta be kidding.  And no, bribing me with a Gold Coin won't help.

I vote no.

>Proposal 1102/0: This Nomic is Cracked (Orc In a Spacesuit)

I think the NomiCrack rule still needs work, but this is at least a start.

I vote yes.

>Proposal 1104/0: Restacking Bonus Boxes (M-Tek)

This is a followup on the Less-is-More that put transporter pads into r705.  It cleans up the paragraph numbering.

I vote yes.

>Proposal 1107/0: Nweek 24 Nitpicks (M-Tek)

Various things that needed cleaning up in the ruleset.

I vote yes.

>Proposal 1108/0: Patch BNomic-1.0.0-to-1.0.1.diff (bd)

I don't want to give ANY rule "chutzpah 9999999999", except maybe Rule 0.

I vote no.

>Proposal 1109/0: What ever (bd)

This makes less sense than my Puppet Pals prop, and I'd rather not recognize the sentience of the ruleset without a lot more thought and verbiage.

I vote no.

>Proposal 1110/2: Olive Trees (Athena)

I like this better than the first version, but it could still need a little work.  For example, especially with strip mining here and Barney on the way, it could use a destructor clause.  And I think I'd like to see olive yield random rather than formulaic.

I vote shelve.

>Proposal 1111/0: vSOI v.2.1 (Baron von Skippy)

Excuse me, I don't want to see my pension funneled into an offshore account.

I vote no.

>Proposal 1113/0: The Mookie Secret (Wonko May Not Vote)

So that the society's founder gets paid unconditionally and the other members get paid at eir whim?  Sorry, Charlie.

By the way, the last line of the Secret Mookies' charter is a do-nothing: society rules don't apply to non-members.

I vote no.

>Proposal 1114/0: Bandwidth Salads (Athena)

I'll be generous and shelve this, pending the olive tree thang.

I vote shelve.

>Proposal 1115/0: Football Robots (Athena)

Not real happy with this.  If they can't be thrown at, they can't be thrown the football.  It doesn't say where they're created when they're created.  Since they don't have points, hit points, integrity or any other measurement of damage, they can walk into fire squares when players can't.  Making them immune to pinball guns takes away one of the means to slow the damn things down.  And this rule doesn't place the same Elbonia Airways limitations on them as on players.

I'd say shelve it, but I'm not comfortable with non-player football players.  Not only is it a rich-get-richer, it's a rich-and-Athena-get-richer.

I vote no.

>Proposal 1116/0: Grid Fun (Athena)

Um.  There appear to be enough problems with three-dimensional movement; let's clean those up first.

I vote no.

>Proposal 1117/0: The Return (Wonko)

Well, first of all Mr. A mangled this with his cut-and-paste...I *think* I know what the actual proposal is doing, but I'd like to be sure.

Secondly, what happens if someone is in a square being raised?  Does e get buried alive in barneypoo?

I vote shelve.

>Proposal 1121/0: Athena's Societies Fix (Athena)

I like it.

I vote yes.

>Proposal 1123/0: Bailing the Water, Not Fixing the Hull (Orc In a
>Spacesuit)

I agree with the Baron: this really should have been an a la carte prop.  As it is, there's just too many things I flat-out object to, and one of them would have been enough.

Also, this is another one that got mangled.

I vote no.

>Proposal 1124/0: When Nine Hundred Years Old You Reach... (Wonko)

You're in danger of being sued by Lucasarts.  Aside from that, this is okay.

I vote yes.

>Proposal 1125/0: ...Look As Good You Will Not (Wonko)

It occurs to me that the current Jedi Lord is the one most likely to win a duel with Maul.  Sorry, guy.

I vote no.

>Proposal 1126/0: vSET Does Stuff (Baron von Skippy)

This should have been made dependent on the vSET rule.  Aside from that, it could create a huge backlog for vSET points, if multiple innovation props are submitted in the same nweek.

And I still think it could and should be a charter rule.

I vote no.

>Proposal 1127/0: IT (bd)

This makes less sense than the proposal that animates the ruleset.

I vote no.

>Proposal 1128/1: hands (bd)

I vote yes.

>Proposal 1129/0: Corporate B-Nomic (Wonko)

I vote yes.

>Proposal 1130/0: Okay, the World Revolves Around You This Nweek (Glotmorf)

This isn't quite the "projects" idea, but it does let someone work on a given rule without interference by errant proposals.

I vote yes.

>Proposal 1131/0: Let's Get the Ball Rolling... (Glotmorf)

This is a framework for Technologies and Products.  After this, a lot that's in the ruleset can be moved into this.

I vote yes.

>Proposal 1132/0: Imperial Dave (Orc In a Spacesuit)

This is a do-nothing.  Dave can veto anything e doesn't like now.

I vote no.

>Proposal 1133/0: More Details (Orc In a Spacesuit)

"Go, Dave, go!  Go, Dave, go!"

There.  I just encouraged the Administrator.  And I didn't involve a proposal.

Seriously, I don't see what the significance is of "encouragement."  If it's not a mandate, it doesn't do anything.  And since the absolute format of game documents isn't defined in the rules, it's up to Mr. A to do things or not.  We can encourage him to do anything we all want him to do.  It's status quo.

I vote no.

						Glotmorf