Rob Speer on 29 May 2002 18:56:28 -0000

spoon-business: General confusion

Looking at the facts a bit more, I'll have to agree with Glotmorf's
interpretation.

The reasoning for my previous interpretation was that the DimShips would
always displace someone from what they saw as the real location, which
would be the virtual location; but rather than this happening an
infinite number of times instantly, it only happens when the rule takes
effect - when Dimensions are checked.

But that was based on the assumption that there's a way to determine
your real location the first time. There isn't. Any Dimensions which
have a displacement set are undefined.

For an example, my Score buoyancy is 100. So my score is N such that N +
100 = N. N is undefined.

This also screws everything up. I suggest that any dimension whose value
is undefined should work like this: if a rule tries to determine whether
something is true about that dimension, it should come out false, no
matter what. So, as an example:

Is my score higher than Wonko's? No.
Is my score lower than Wonko's? No.
Is my score equal to Wonko's? No.
[[ Sure, they are both undefined, but don't go trying to consider
numbers that don't exist equivalent. ]]
Is my score anything at all? No.

The undefined value also carries through in calculations, so Global
Entropy is also undefined (but it is not greater than 500).
--
Rob Speer