Gavin Doig on 8 Feb 2002 14:32:01 -0000

spoon-business: CFJ 318

Statement:
"Given that
(a) the word 'yea' is synonymous with 'yes' or any affirmative indication
(b) the spirit of the law and game custom indicates that 'yea' should be interpreted as 'yes' or any affirmative indication
then the Token of Proposals is not awarded to Wonko since he did not receive the most affirmative votes."
Response: False.
Analysis:
The first of the 2 givens is certainly true. The second of the 2 is also true, as written. If the rule had said "the most yea votes", I would have ruled true. If the rule had said "the most 'yea' votes", I would rule false, as that would clearly be intended to refer to the literal string, not it's meaning. The rule actually said "the most YEA votes", and I hereby rule that the capitalisation served the same function as the quotes in my example.

I note in passing that I almost refused to judge this, as it was phrased as a hypothetical. The statement, I feel, should have been "Token of Proposals is not awarded to Wonko", with the rest presented as analysis.
:sisylanA

uin.

http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup

Win a ski trip!