Jonathan Van Matre on 30 Jan 2002 23:24:52 -0000

RE: spoon-business: Game Action

Well, I was only doing it to present a particularly engrossing case to CFJ what Glotmorf has been on about.  E has a point, however ill-chosen and/or misunderstood eir examples may have been.  Either permissibility of the unprohibited exists or it doesn't, and we've seen at least one major CFJ judgement that contradicts that principle.  Judgements can contradict each other, but they shouldn't be contradicting the rules just to prevent something we don't want to see happen.

Anyway, your unrecognizing ignore of my action raises another equally CFJ-worthy issue:  Can the Administrator legally ignore actions?  For example, if someone you intensely dislike posts eir intent to be a player, can you ignore it?  If I post a proposal you're not fond of, can you ignore that?  Starting to sound a lot like Imperial Nomic all of a sudden...

Herewith, my CFJ, Administrator as Defendant:

STATEMENT:  The Administrator can not refuse to recognize any action posted to a public forum, except where such non-recognition is explicitly permitted by the rules.

ANALYSIS:  It's not a rule, but it certainly should be.  The alternative gives *way* too much power of discretion to the Administrator.  If eir least-favorite player posts a Grid move to a square that has a Shiny thing, can e ignore the move to prevent said player receiving points?  This whole ignoring-an-action thing sets up an unwelcome precedent.

--Scoff!