Eric Gerlach on 30 Jan 2002 17:47:05 -0000

spoon-business: Are you ready for some football!!!!

I know Glotmorf alreday did something similar to this, but my hard drive
went into its death throws last night, so hopefully you'll excuse the
tardiness of this proposal compared with my pickup of the Scoring Gremlin.

Here's the executive summary (as this proposal got a bit wordy):

- We can play football.
- You can become a part of Team Turquoise or Team Crimson as long as the
teams remain balanced.
- You can move 3 units on the grid if you are playing football, but you
don't get to find Shiny or Scary Dark things.
- You can tackle a player if you come within 2 units of them, and then the
Scoring Gremlin goes into the posession of your teammate who is the
furthest from the end-zone.
- Get the Scoring Gremlin into the end zone and score 20 points for each
member of your team!  Woo!

Rules for passing and punting will be introduced next nweek (if this
passes).

Glotmorf:  I came up with this idea last night shortly after my HD started
showing signs of death... would have gotten it proposed earlier
otherwise, sorry.  The only reason I don't like GremBall as you have it
defined is it could get really nasty with if there are a large number of
gremlins.  Plus, I want a team sport  :)

Wonko:  I hope I'm not violating the sanctity of the Scoring Gremlin :)

Admin: Some of the stuff I'm proposing now and next week may require some
math... I see you are using PHP, so I'm willing to write the scripts for
my own madness...

{{
__Are you ready for some football!__

{{
__Monday Night Football__

There exists a game known as Scoring Gremlin Football (Football or SCF for
short).  SCF is played on The Grid between two teams:  Team Turquoise and
Team Crimson.  Each team has a player roster.

The objective of each team is to bring the Scoring Gremlin to eir
designated "end-zone" in the possession of one of the players on eir Team
Roster. For Team Turquoise, the end-zone is any location on The Grid with
x-coordinate equal to 1.  For Team Crimson, the end-zone is any location
on The Grid with x-coordinate equal to 20.

Players may place eir names on the roster of either Team by posting
eir intention to do so in a public fourm, but may do so only if eir name
is not already on a roster, if they are on The Grid, and if the
roster of the Team they wish to join does not have more players than the
other Team [[You can only join a team if the team sizes are equal, or if
you're joining the smaller team]].

A player may remove eir name from a roster at any time e is not in
possession of the Scoring Gremlin by posting eir intention in a public
forum. After removing eir name from a player roster, a player may not add
eir name to a roster for one nweek.  If a player is ever in Limbo, eir
name is removed from any player rosters it may be on.

Players whose names are on a Team's roster are considered to be "playing
Football".  All actions taken by a player with regards to the game of
Football must be posted in a public forum.

Any player playing Football who is at the same location as the Scoring
Gremlin may pick it up.  That player is considered to be "in posession" of
the Scoring Gremlin.  If a player is in possession of the Scoring Gremlin,
it moves with that player.  A player may not pick up the Scoring Gremlin
if it is in the possession of another player.

If a player is playing Football, instead of moving as specified in rule
301, e may move to any location within a circle of three units of eir
current location.  Moving in such a way is known as running, and a player
must specify that e is running in order to move in this manner.  If
after a player runs, e occupies the same location as a Shiny Thing or a
Scary Dark Thing the effects described in rule 301 do not occur.  This
rule supercedes rule 301 in this respect.  Movement by running otherwise
occurs in accordance with rule 301 (with respect to timing,
restrictions, etc.).

If a player is playing Football, and e is within two units of the player
in possession of the Scoring Gremlin (determined by the same circle-style
measurement as for moving), e may tackle the player with the Scoring
Gremlin. The player making the tackle immediately moves to the same
location as the player being tackled.  Both the tackling and the tackled
players do not move at the end of the nweek, even if they had already
declared movement.  The Scoring Gremlin is placed in the possession of the
player on the tackling player's Team who is furthest from eir end-zone.

If a Team succeeds in bringing the Scoring Gremlin to eir end-zone in the
possession of one eir players, all members of the Team gain 20 points, and
the Scoring Gremlin is placed at one of (10, 10), (10, 11), (11, 10), or
(11, 11) with equal probability.

Bean initially starts in posession of the Scoring Gremlin.  This paragraph
subsequently deletes itself from the rules.

}}

Place the name 'Bean' on the roster of Team Turquoise.

}}