Donald Whytock on 24 Jan 2002 09:08:13 -0000

spoon-business: New Rule Proposal: Gridwork 1

Remember how in Star Wars Han Solo tries to shoot his way out of the Death Star's garbage bin, and how his shot bounces off the magnetically sealed door and ricochets around the room several times, almost hitting either him or the people who are trapped with him?

See...I see the potential for something Just Like That happening with the current version of the grid rules, as it's possible for a player to move into the same location as either a Shiny Thing or a Dark Thing, and for that Thing to teleport into the same location as another player, and ricochet and keep on going.

It occurred to me that this warranted a change.  From my perspective I figured I could either fix the situation or make it worse.

Anyway, here's my proposal...

{{ _Fixing It Would Be Too Easy_

Replace the fourth paragraph of Rule 301 with the following:

"If at any time a Player occupies the same grid location as a Shiny Thing, e will be
awarded 25 points and the Shiny Thing will be removed from the grid and added to the Relocation Queue."

Replace the fifth paragraph of Rule 301 with the following:

"If at any time a Player occupies the same grid location as a Scary Dark Thing, e
will lose 25 points, and the Scary Dark Thing will be removed from the grid and added to the Relocation Queue.  If the Player then has zero or less points, eir point total is set to zero, and e is removed from the grid and returned to Limbo."

Add the following text to the end of the sixth paragraph in Rule 301:

"A Player cannot enter the Grid if there are fewer than two unoccupied locations on the Grid."

Add the following two paragraphs after the fifth paragraph of Rule 301:

"If at any time a Shiny or Dark Thing (either one) occupies the same grid location as another Shiny or Dark Thing (either one), both Things will be removed from the grid and added to the Relocation Queue."

"While there are Things in the Relocation Queue, the Administrator will teleport each in turn to a randomly determined location on the grid."

Add the keywords "Grid", "PointsGained" and "PointsLost" to Rule 301.

}}