Benjamin Bradley on 20 Dec 2001 05:56:25 -0000

spoon-business: reset proposal

I propose that we reset the game and begin with the following initial
ruleset. Hopefully this will start us off from a solid foundation and at a
simple enough point that everyone will understand what's going on. I think
that the fun of a game of nomic is that it grows to be complicated. If it
starts out with inconsistencies and such, it's just no fun (as we've
seen). I've also added a proposal limit so that the game will hopefully
start off slowly. I know this rule set by no means incorporates even a
fraction of the functionality that we want in our ruleset, but I think it
is fairly complete in itself, consistent, and free of exploitable
loopholes.
How about e-mailing the list with 'yay's and 'nay's?

------------------------------
Definitions:
* game state - the game state or the state of the game is exactly
specified by the following:
	definitions of terms
	rules
	objects
	players
	attributes (of players or of objects)
Anything which does not fall into one of these categories is not part of
the game state.

* person - an entity inhabiting a human body

* player - a person whose actions may affect the game state (as specified
by the rules)

* proposal - a proposed change to the game state

Rules:
1. The game state can only be altered as explicitly defined by the rules.

2. All game state changes must be proposed or announced via the mailing
list.

3. A person may become a player by e-mailing the list and announcing
his/her will to do so.

4. A player may propose a game state change by e-mailing the list with a
semantically unambiguous message indicating exactly what changes s/he
wishes to make to the game state.

5. After receiving a player's proposal, each player may send one message
to the list indicating a vote either for (in favor of) or against (not in
favor of) the adoption of the proposal.

6. Each player may make no more than one proposal in each 7-day period.

7. A proposal passes if, 7 days after it was proposed, there have been
more votes "for" the proposal than "against" it.