Jörg Rathlev on 5 Apr 2001 17:12:01 -0000

spoon-business: Go alliance improvement

It just occured to me that we don't have a possibility to withdraw an alliance offer. I can still accept an offer weeks after it was offered.

I make the following proposal, which allows offers to be withdrawn and generally makes rule 365 a bit more clear:

\begin{proposal}
\title{Go alliance improvement}

Amend rule 365 (Political Go) by removing "Each Go player may make no more than one Go move per Game day, and may never place two Stones consecutively." from that rule. [[This will be added to the Go Moves rule instead.]]

Amend rule 368 (Go Moves) by changing its text to:

"For each move, a Go player must do one of the following:

1. Place a stone.

The Go player may place a stone on any unoccupied vertex, with the following exceptions:

a. Stones may not be placed so as to repeat a previous Board configuration.
b. Stones may not be placed on vertices on which the placement of a Stone would cause the formation of a friendly Dragon with no liberties, unless it would also cause the formation of an enemy Dragon with no liberties.
c. A Go player may never place two stones consecutively.

2. Offer an alliance to an enemy.

The offer must name the Go player to whom the offer is made. The offer becomes void if the Go player to whom it was offered makes any other move before accepting the offer, or if the Go player who made the offer withdraws it.

3. Declare war on an ally.

If a Go player declares war on an ally, the two Go players cease to be allies, and eir former ally's Stones are no longer friendly.

4. Accept an alliance.

By accepting an alliance offered by another Go player, the two Go players become allied.

5. Withdraw an offer of an alliance.

If a Go player withdraws an offer e previously made, the player to whom e made the offer can no longer accept it. An offer cannot be withdrawn after it was accepted.

Each Go player may make no more than one Go move per Game day, with the exception of accepting an alliance or withdrawing an offer, which can be done an unlimited number of times."

\end{proposal}

However, I think that accepting an alliance should be move that counts (i.e. you can't do anything else that day). So I also make the following proposal:

\begin{proposal}
\title{Accepting an alliance is a normal (counted) Go move}

Provided that the Go alliance improvement proposal passed, amed rule 368 (Go Moves) by removing "accepting an alliance or " from the last sentence.

\end{proposal}

Joerg