Joel Uckelman on 6 Mar 2001 16:40:15 -0000

spoon-business: RFJ

Well, I had might as well get this over with, since Schroeder seems to be
pressing on this issue.

I submit the following RFJ:

The Player Joel is not in violation of R350/0.

My analysis:

R350 does not require me to Randal. The first sentence states "The Player
known as Joel Uckelman is ordered to Randal once within 10 days after this
rule takes effect." There hasn't been a Player known as Joel Uckelman since
16 February, and R350 did not exist prior to 19 February. Though the
Proposal existed before I changed my name, it was not updated to reflect
that change, so in the form it was adopted it simply does not refer to me.
Moreover, I cannot possibly be held accountable for the proposer's
negligence in failing to alter the Proposal as a result of my name change,
as the contents of unadopted Proposals are not binding. Nor are Rule
titles, for that matter: Though the Rule title contains my name, Rule
titles do not have the force of Rule.

Also, it should be noted that the only other such naming instance in the
Rules is in R208/1, which actually does refer to me, as "the Player whose
real name is Joel Uckelman". Clearly this refers, as there exists a Player,
namely Joel, whose real name is Joel Uckelman. For contrast, a quick check
of the Roster will verify that there does not exist a Player known as Joel
Uckelman.

--
J.