Joel Uckelman on 20 Feb 2001 05:33:48 -0000

spoon-business: Naming Prohibition Proposal

The debate over how to distinguish between game and non-game actions
reminded me of Article I, section 9, paragraph 3 of the US Constitution
(the one with which I am most familiar), quoted here:

"No bill of attainder or ex post facto Law shall be passed."

A bill of attainder is a legislative act that singles out an individual or
group for punishment without a trial.

The reason I mention this is that we could use a similar idea to avoid the
problem of determining which requirements are game-relevant and which
aren't. If we prohibited the creation of Rules that name individual
Players, then any odious requirements in a proposed Rule would necessarily
have wider application, thus increasing the likelihood that more Players
would vote against it.

So, here's a Proposal to do that:

BEGIN

Create a new Rule entitled "No Bills of Attainder" with the following text:

"Proposals which name individual Players in their texts are prohibited."

END

--
J.