Harrison, Andrew on 16 Oct 2000 16:32:52 -0000

spoon-business: Ruling on RFJ25

RFJ25: Motions requiring a vote introduced during an nweek's voting will not
become Ballot Issues.

Firstly, I don't really want to overrule established legal precedent, but
the rules do allow for it and I think the Plantiff has presented a valid
argument rather than just disagreeing with the ruling, so I won't just
'refuse' this as was my initial thought.

The Plantiff's argument is based on Rule 202:
"The following become Ballot Issues at the start of a nweek's voting:
2. Motions requiring a vote introduced since the previous nweek's voting"

The Plantiff is also keen to point out that Proposals and Motions are not
neccesarily equal.

Rule 202 states that at the start of the nweeks voting, Motions that at that
time are requiring a vote, and have been introduced since the previous
nweek's voting, shall become Ballot Issues. It does not state that items not
on the list shall not become Ballot Issues, nor does it state that Motions
may not become Ballot Issues at other times. However, I would not be happy
to rule on this basis alone.

To come to a conclusion on this matter I asked myself the following
question:
"When does the voting occur?"
My answer is:
"The voting occurs at the start of the eighth day and continues for three
days."

Therefore I find that the phrase "since the previous nweek's voting" should
be interpreted as "since the start of the previous nweek's voting" and not
"since the end of the previous nweek's voting"

I rule FALSE.

--
The Kid